Sunday 11 January 2015

Why Do I Like... Cats?

There are many things that I like in this world; remembering every single one would take me a lifetime, let alone describing why I have such a fondness for it. From H&M to darker-than-dark chocolate, I have my heart set on many great and wonderful things - in many ways, it is as though I'm living in a love affair that never grinds to a halt. I have so much love to give, whether it is to my friends, my family or a lovingly homemade cake (topped with a thick layer of chocolate, of course), but most of the time that love is offered to one type of special person.

Wait, they aren't even a person, though I like to define them as so because they evoke such powerful feelings that a person can create. They are a different species, unique and quite furry... Who else could I be talking about? Cats! 

Fluffy, sweet-natured and absolutely adorable, I've never been able to resist the likeable charm of cats. From almost my first day on this planet, I've been acquainted with felines whom I've grown to call my 'furry brothers': while I take care of them, they also protect me. The world wouldn't be a place that I'd want to live in if cats weren't a part of it: not only do they fill me with such precious love, they know how to keep me sane! 

As I've known them all my life, I feel completely at ease whenever I'm hanging out with one of my four cats (definitely not a typo error!), or I catch sight of a cat wandering near my house. I've lost count over the many times I've spoken to cats pacing the streets, advising them to stay away from the road like a mother warns her young child! In fact, there are times when I prefer the company of cats to humans because, unlike my opinionated brother, they don't answer back to you, instead offering the comfort that we seek when stroking their soft, immaculate fur. 

Still, that hasn't stopped me from occasionally wishing that my own cats could have a conversation with me: what type of cat lover and owner wouldn't like to know what is going through their feline's little brains? I'd certainly fancy a dose of wisdom from my wise cat, Benny, whereas his fun-loving brother Bart would advise me on how to let my hair down! Cats are creatures who constantly keep humans guessing and, for nearly sixteen years, I haven't lost an ounce of my fascination with them; my love has continued to grow, blossoming into a stunning beauty. 

One of the reasons why I admire cats is because, compared to the likes of dogs, they rarely make any mess or noise, apart from the occasional meow - usually signalling meal time! As a slightly quiet person, I prefer peace over an erupting volcano of sound. This comes in handy when I'm watching TV or reading a book on my bed (where my cats tend to be based): I'm not distracted, which keeps me in a good mood. Yet I'm definitely an advocate for a cat's purr... could there possibly be a more beautiful sound than that? Hearing Bart sing his heart out when I'm rubbing his ears pleases me more than anything else, which also includes letting a square of dark chocolate melt in my mouth!

As I'm writing this, Bart is actually resting his head against my leg, chasing fishes in his wild dreams. He is gently warming my leg up, and I'm happy to be in his company; without needing to say it to each other's faces, we have a mutual respect and love for one another, which forever grows and grows. Although human friendships are priceless, so are the ones that you strike up with animals - both are equally important. Whenever I need a break from fellow humans (particularly the ones who are practically qualified in the art of winding you up), I know exactly who to go to: my cats. Well, I have plenty to choose from - the two five old kittens or my two older cats!

Cats are always going to be a very special part of my life, and I'm glad to have grown up with them: they have taught me how to respect an animal and treat it as your equal, instead of being inferior to you. Sometimes, I wish more than anything that I could bring them to school with me - unlike some pupils, they wouldn't dare to break the uniform code, would they? - because being separated from them for hours can be tough, but it makes me appreciate the time that I spend with them once I get home. I know that my day is complete when I find Bart or Benny curled up on my bed moments after arriving home, easing out of their afternoon nap to greet me. Happiness can't be defined more greatly than that...


No comments:

Post a Comment