Thursday 1 January 2015

The Strangeness of New Year

New Year is a strange thing, isn't it? Like Christmas, it creeps up on you before leaping out of a cupboard that you hardly ever open (except for hiding the yet-to-be-touched tin of Celebrations) and shoving itself in your face, bragging about how great 2015 will be and yadda yadda yadda. Personally, I'm often fighting the urge to fall asleep and drawl on my shoulder after watching the first five minutes of the fireworks display in London on TV, exhausted with hearing about how, compared to 2014, 2015 should be even better. Very original, don't you think?

Now I'm paying the price for staying up approximately thirty minutes longer than usual (or has been the case since Christmas Day a week ago) by wishing that I could go back to bed and stay there until 3pm or whenever I feel like arising from my tomb. Unfortunately, that isn't really an option because I've already put on my make-up (including mascara, which would be an absolute nightmare to clean if I smudged it on my cream-coloured pillow), slipped into my clothes and styled my hair into a super sleek ponytail. Once I'm selfie-ready, very little will persuade me to undo my beautifying tasks like I do shortly before going to bed during daylight hours - despite being at risk of losing consciousness at any time, I'm just going to fight it as I always do.

You see, the New Year isn't renowned for its generosity towards you, which I seriously cannot turn a blind eye to at the moment!

So, as I ask myself every morning, what will I be doing today? Originally, the plan was to go the cinema and see the latest Hunger Games film, but that has been pushed back to Saturday (the next forty-eight hours will be extremely tense while I anticipate walking into a theatre for the first time in over thirteen months). Having made myself up for the occasion, now I feel a bit cheated because all my efforts will seemingly be for the nothing; luckily, blogging is one of the few jobs in which wearing your pyjamas doesn't pose any problems, so switching into glamour mode is hardly necessary. Shops close earlier on New Year's Day and, if I wanted to stay a home (which is the most likely scenario), TV won't be offering me any worthwhile treats. Ugh, this is exactly what I detest about New Year - Christmas fever has virtually died a death, depriving you of things to do!

On this day every year, I tend to feel frustrated because, after a fortnight of rest, school is on the verge of returning to your life - therefore becoming the main and possibly only focus in the world - while Christmas is somewhat forgotten about. All those months of anticipation are lost in a sea of New Year fever, from which I seem to be immune. Of course, I really am excited at the prospect of starting afresh (plus having a birthday in a few weeks' time can have its benefits!), but I lose sight of that every 1st January; making it through the day without regretting the night before too much is mainly what matters the most. 

Hopefully, this fog should clear up and unveil a path that leads to brighter things instead of the clouds hovering over my bedroom window - a glimpse of light typically sets my mind ablaze, unlike darkened, marshmallow-like clouds! 

For those who can bear to hear it shouted in their ears for the millionth time, Happy New Year. Well, once I settle into it, it will be a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment