Thursday 13 March 2014

Moving with the Times

After a day of being thrown up into the fog-polluted air and acting on impulse by overindulging on continuous bags of french fries, I'm back to where I belong - at home, sitting by my desk and typing faster than the speed of light. 

On the off-chance that you were wondering where I had disappeared yesterday - for the past week, I feel as though I've been spending almost all my time in front of my HP laptop, logging onto Blogger seemingly every five minutes - I can securely inform you that I had in fact been spending hours in the back of the family car, growing tired of the oh-so-dull sight of green trees and acres of farmland on the motorway. The reason for which I woke up at the crack of dawn (no kidding; within moments of stumbling out of my bed, I applied a thicker-than-the-Les-Misérables-book line of eyeliner onto my lids) and travelled all the way to literally the other side of the country was that my family and I had found the new home of our dreams. And, as I write with my hands shaking with immeasurable excitement, I couldn't imagine feeling happier than ever - seriously!

Without going into too much detail (unless you fancy reading this until midnight or whenever), there was no question regarding my steely-eyed determination to view a property, one of which is located in a quaint, yet modernized village - if you can push aside your initial beliefs regarding small-town villages, you and I may become the very best of friends - and my efforts to get there at all possible costs were thankfully rewarded when my family and I fell in love with the house as soon as we saw it, failing to give the pictures we had previously seen online any justice. 

To my astonishment, the Little Brother (LM, for short) didn't start a nasty argument over whom would get the largest bedroom because he was already over the moon with his chosen room which, if I had to be entirely honest, is slightly larger than my own. Yet would I, the older sister who had claimed control over the choice of bedrooms in the past, allow such a rare opportunity to slip through my fingers without a fight? Well, let's say that I got what my heart had desired for such a long time - an en-suite. 

Many of you may question why a small bathroom has become a prominent feature in my dreams, but if you had to deal with the excessive amount of cleansing and nurturing which I dedicate to caring for my body, I think that you would find it within yourself to understand my wish to have a small place where I can wash my hair (and use as much shampoo as I want without being slapped on the wrist for using one too many apple-scented squirts) and apply my mud-like honey and cinnamon facial mask without becoming the unfortunate victim of litter tray-related jokes. And wouldn't everyone in my family appreciate having some extra spare space in the bathroom without my shop-load of toiletries taking up half the room? 

Although I may not like to recognize the fact (for the inner little girl inside of me is oh-so-fearful of receiving a stern telling-off), I can create somewhat of an inconvenience for others due to my passion of obtaining a glossy, salon-inspired shine on my hair. So, despite offering my brother the itsy bitsy larger bedroom without enforming a one-off payment as an acknowledgement for my generosity (aren't I the nicest sister in the world?), part of myself believes that I got the better deal - for the whole household's sake, if not anything else!

Okay, starting a love affair with my en-suite isn't the end- and be-all with moving to a new property, but it was certainly worth driving over a hundred miles to visit the place which I will be proudly calling my new home - as I said before, I was determined to latch my hands upon it before anybody else saw it! Moving away from my current home to an entirely different area in the country represents more change than I have ever known; as I will be living in an area which offers outstanding and satisfactory education, this means that I will definitely be making a return to school, bringing my seven years as a home-schooled student to an end. 

With this news, I feel a mixture of emotions which are whirling around like a candy floss mixer - of course, I'm really looking forward to attending a secondary school and forming new friendships, yet a couple of jittery butterflies are swarming in my stomach at the prospect of starting something alien to me. Most of the time, I embrace change because it is a common feature of life itself and is practically unavoidable, regardless of whatever you do, but at the moment I'm getting my head around the fact that several routines - such as writing on blog at lunchtime in my bedroom, for example - will either be altered or finished in several weeks' time. 

Before the thought even pops into your mind, my return to mainstream education does not mean that running this blog will cease to exist - far from it, I believe! As more and more teenagers set up websites, I don't see why I should give up a hobby which gives me as much pleasure as gazing at Louis Vuitton handbags on Google; the only difference will be that I appreciate the spare time which I have, and I can obviously share my new, yet exciting life as a Modern Teen with you! 

For now, I'm spending any spare moment to packing away my books, CDs, etc before my family and I move away which, if any of you have ever moved, couldn't be a more boring task; at least I'm not the one who has to carry the muscle-straining box containing my possessions! Also, nothing can put my relief of avoiding deep-fried food into words after gorging on two servings of french fries and a packet of spicier-than-a-red-hot-chilli chicken from KFC which, believe it or not, was my very first purchase from the world-famous fast food chain! Needless to say, I will definitely pick up another snack pack from KFC when my family and I return to the property early next week, the day of which we will receive the keys and become the new tenants of the house. Yay! 

So, I hope that your eyebrows don't rise to the tip of your hairline if I steer clear of my laptop for the next few weeks because everything which is currently going on in my life is taking centre stage; until I come across my long-lost English dictionary, I don't think that I'll be able to find the words which truly live up to my excitement of turning a new leaf and securing the happiness which I have a right to claim as my own. Hopefully, in a months' time, I will be settled in my new home and will have unpacked all of my possessions, including my laptop - as soon as I have a bit of free time, I will log onto Blogger and chat away about my life as I always have here! 

What surprises me the most that, at one dark point, I feared that I wouldn't find a home which ticked all the boxes and guaranteed the one thing which I had been searching for: elation. And, as the countdown to moving out begins, I feel more and more elated by each minute - long may it last!

No comments:

Post a Comment