Thursday 20 March 2014

Embracing the Move

Whilst sitting in the back of my mum's gun metal car as hundreds of green-as-shamrocks (for it was St Patrick's Day on Monday, after all) fields passed by and my emptiless hunger increased in a way I had always hoped for my pint-sized legs yesterday, I had the perfect opportunity to think about my soon-to-be-different life because, rather frankly, I didn't have anything else to do.

With the option of reading a book being immediately crossed out due to my nausea-related tendencies whilst driving over a semi-dangerous pothole (an ever-popular sight on old, badly repaired British roads) and a little brother only wishing to annoy me to an inch of my life in the back seats, thinking about how my life is on the verge of changing within the space of a few days all but occupied my time on one of the longest car journeys I'd ever embarked upon.

In case you have just stumbled onto my blog and therefore don't have a single inkling about my life, let me give you a short, yet sugar-sprinkled sweet description about the events which have thrown my world into the air: last week, I earnt a self-given medal for surviving without access to the internet or being able to do anything remotely fun (i.e. poking fun at the tracksuit trends typically displayed around town) after travelling over three hundred miles to-and-back in order to view a new property, with which I instantly fell in love and have not stopped thinking about since. Seven days ago, I bragged about my excitement regarding an en-suite attached to my bedroom (if one had some private space, who couldn't resist raving about it?) and the prospect of attending a new secondary school had ignited a sense of elation like never before, as I've been educated at home for the past seven years.

Skip forward a week and I was squashed against my box-sized handbag in the car, growing bored of the endless sight of fluffier-than-my-wooly-jumper sheep standing like something possessed in fields dedicated to farming near the motorway, preparing to receive the keys for our new home. Although I've had enough time to process the events which were destined to take place - obtaining the keys wasn't quite as thrilling as the Olympic Opening Ceremony because a lit torch with a similar shape to a bouquet of lavish flowers would always gather a cheering crowd - I'm still questioning whether I will ever get my head around what has recently happened because I feel like I've been induced into a daze, not completely aware of my surroundings and closely felt emotions.

As I'm moving out next Friday, perhaps dragging myself out of bed at 5am in time for the removal firm to arrive two hours later will eventually bring home how my way of living is about to take a massive leap into the unknown, bringing a beautiful home and a much-envied area which will shortly become our new village. Yes, I usually regard villages as an impersonation of the places depicted on British soap areas such as Emmerdale which my mum ironically watches almost every evening, and although my ears would explode like a needle placed through a balloon if I lived in the livelier-than-imaginable heart of a noisy city, inhabiting a house in an area deemed as too quiet would normally get on my nerves because I never like to feel alone and a thousand miles away from anywhere big, which would definitely rack up an enormous bill on petrol if it was the case.

However, the village where our new home is located stands out as a great area because, despite not offering a street loaded with popular shops or indeed an H&M store (when will my favourite fashion retailer become more accessible?), the atmosphere immediately made me feel at ease which has increased my confidence on whether I'll be comfortable there. The nearest town is a mere eight miles or so away, which would equate to a twenty minute drive, and as the car sped over the stomach-turning bridges yesterday, it hardly feels as though any time had passed until we arrive into the town which offers all the shops (and the chocolate digestives from Aldi to which my dad has developed an undiagnosed addiction) we need. So, I'm feeling rather euphoric about moving to a village which, unlike many across the country, hasn't completely cut off links to the outside world - and hopefully won't remind me of any farm-themed television programmes either!

Due to living in the same town and inevitably the same house for almost seven years, I have to shrug my pride away and admit that I have gotten comfortable because it has indeed been a place which I've known for almost half of my life; letting go of old habits and adjusting to a new lifestyle couldn't been classified as a harder task, yet this time I'm embracing this change as I've been waiting long enough for it. In general, the stress relating to packing away everything and preparing for yet another exhausting journey up country has threatened to eat away at me like I consumed my first bucket of KFC at a service station last night, and it's fair to say that I'm rather inexperienced with regard to staying sane whilst moving house - how will I ever let go of my novice-like ways?

Once the most daunting parts of the move have been thankfully over and done with, a sense of relief and stability will wash over me like hot water trickling out of a shower, and nothing will possibly stand in my way of finding my ideal-sized slice of happiness - at times, all I want is to move to our new home right away because waiting for the day to come is making me all the more anxious. Regardless of the matter involved, I doubt that I will ever get a grip on my impatience though it would truly help if some of its stronger tendencies could disappear for a while!

If you asked me how I felt at this particular moment, almost all the adjectives ever created in the English language would be hanging on the tip of my tongue because there isn't just one word which perfectly describes my current state of emotions. Happy, excited, nervous, agitated, exhausted and sleep-deprived are pretty accurate indicators of my feelings right now, but I hope to work through my nerves and reach the light at the end of the tunnel as soon as possible.

Just keep me posted on when the time comes as I attempt to catch up on some much-needed sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment