Friday 7 March 2014

Celebrating Women

Upon remembering that International Women's Day isn't long ahead of us - in fact, it will be celebrated around the world tomorrow, so a flood of relief gushed through me when it became clear that I had not missed out on the festivities again - I suddenly had one of my fantastic light bulb moments (the ones which typically occur when your battery-drained smartphone stops working) where a pang of realization knocked me off my feet: no matter what stood in my way, I knew that I had to write about the one day of the oh-so-long year which is solely dedicating to recognizing and celebrating the fairer and, in my agreeable opinion, the emotionally stronger sex. And who, if they believed in equality and achieving the same rights to the other gender, wouldn't wish to participate in enjoying the celebrations which truly make women proud?

Although I'm technically classified as a teenager (the title of the blog says it all) or a young, collagen-producing adult, there are some who may be skeptical to include our younger females as members of the international women gang. But I strongly disagree because a gender, if this makes any senses to your puzzled minds, is a gender, regardless of your age; despite being unable to look beyond the disastrous days of waking up with a yellow-headed spot and a lackluster desire to complete my maths revision, there is absolutely no doubt to the well-known fact that I and millions of girls my own age will enter womanhood some day, and many of us are already walking upon the tiring, yet rewarding path to becoming adults and admirable women in the distant future. So yes, I call myself many things - including The Moaner, which my brother would probably find pretty ironic (his moan-loving attitude is entirely on a par to my own) - and a young woman is an important part of my list.

Now that I'm older and have since opened my short-sighted eyes as far as I possibly can to the struggles and problems which millions, if not billions, of women face every day, I feel more determined than ever to stand up for our gender because we deserve the right - and are entitled to having it, if only others made an effort to follow the anti-sexist laws - to be empowered and no longer be defined as victims of injustice and offensivism. International Women's Day only strengthens and highlights my views to a bigger, more publicised level and I hope that, with each year and era which passes by, we will take a step further towards banishing discrimination and inequality for good.

But, as I keep asking to the lack of a proper answer, why is sexism as prominent and rife as it was hundred or so years ago? Over the years, so many historical events should have changed the outlook for modern day women because they supposedly broke the boundaries, therefore shaking the public's opinion on giving women equal rights to men, yet something must have gone wrong along the way. Otherwise would the word 'sexism' continue to be used with an ever-growing hatred of the daily bouts of discrimination which we unlawfully face?

Fortunately, I have never been placed in an awkward position where I felt threatened or uncomfortable because of my gender - ideally, my gut instinct is rather accurate by informing me of the places where I could potentially be harassed or whatever - but it doesn't mean that the possibility of finding myself in a similar position has never crossed my mind; due to my age and fresh-faced youth, I'm always on my guard wherever I go. From the jam-packed high street to the eerily quiet newsagent, there never comes a time when I can switch my alert-mode off like my phone (which I never do when I go out, regardless of whether I'm alone or not), and that harsh, yet honest fact saddens me.

Perhaps if I didn't display such an eager interest in reading newspapers or keeping up with current events, this deeply instilled fear of getting caught up in such a nerve-wrecking position would probably have never come into existence, but is there anything worse than letting your guard down at the worst possible moment? As I learnt long ago, being self-aware is both a gift and a witch-like curse, but I'd rather use my mind to its greatest extent instead of living in all-too-innocent world where I cannot bear the thought of something horrific occurring. Growing up in a world - one of which hasn't entirely given up its sexist ways - has taught me plenty of lessons which even the best private schools couldn't teach you, and turning into a young woman has brought the misery-inducing truth home to me.

I hope that, as International Women's Day rolls around the corner, plenty of people - both men and women - will realize that equality is still a massive issue which has yet to be sorted out for once and for all. Not only do poorer and male-run countries inflict unimaginable displays of discrimination against women, but the vile breed of chauvinism is a million miles away from dying out in countries which are commonly believed to be paving the way to equality. Although the word 'sexism' may not immediately flash through your mind, comments declared amongst men - and, in case you haven't come near them recently, young boys - which mock their 'girliness' or similar characteristics to girls are highly distasteful, but nobody appears to think twice about the offensive meaning which they so obviously represent! Time and time again, my blood boils more furiously than a kettle because young children shouldn't get involved in sexist behaviourism which I highly disapprove amongst adults; how will the dilemma ever be found a cure if it continues to exist through the next few generations?

For the record, I'm not the type of person who will moan or complain about every single wrong thing because some opinions ought to be kept to oneself - in case she stumbles upon this blog, I referring to none other than Katie Hopkins - yet there is absolutely no way that I will back down on my views over women finally gaining the rights to speak out and discover freedom until it becomes a reality for every woman on the planet. If nobody agreed, would Pakistani teenager Malala Yousafzai have risked her life in order to grant every single schoolgirl the right to gain an education, renewing the debate for equality from all sides of the world? I have strong admiration for women and girls of a similar age to myself, as sixteen year old Malala has shown, because they speak up for those who are too scared or fearful of letting their beliefs be heard. If more women stood up for themselves, we - as half of the world's population - could finally banish sexism and destroy discrimination as it should have been done long ago.

Together, we are indomitable, signaling that the message ought to be spread if we are to stand a chance of dispelling the long-discussed myths of women being the 'weaker' sex.

When International Women's Day comes tomorrow, I won't spend the day thinking about discrimination or the unwanted prejudice which merely ignites a tenth of my lightning bolt temper. Being a young woman/spotty teenager, I only want to dedicate Saturday to being one single thing: me. I want to be so many things - a high-flying journalist, a cookery whizz and intellectual with an IQ of 140, all to name a few - but I swell up with indescribable pride at the prospect of reaching womanhood within a few years time. I love being who I am and my gender shouldn't stand as an undestroyable barrier at fulfilling my ambitions - as I've always believed, why should it?

No comments:

Post a Comment