Monday 30 March 2015

Starting the Holidays

Am I trapped in an endless dream, far away from the sweet clutches of reality, or should I apply more faith into what my eyes are showing me? Today, I have woken up to the loveliest spell of sunshine that I've seen in ages - which is magnified even more whilst I lie on my bed in nowhere other than my bedroom. 

However, it's just occurred to me that it is a Monday, which leads me to ask quite an important question: aren't I supposed to be somewhere else? In fact, if I have a quick flick through my timetable, I ought to be listening to Paramore's Brand New Eyes on constant repeat in Performing Arts right now. Oh dear, getting my first detention as I assume my new role as senior prefect is so not going to look good on my record!

Then, if I peer a bit closer into the date at the bottom of my desktop screen, it says that today is 30th March. Wait, if I broke up for the Easter holidays on 27th, surely I don't need to be in school at all? Phew. Try trusting me with information at this time in the morning - you'd never survive if I was in charge!

As the relief wears off, excitement moves in like a cheerful neighbour: I've got two weeks off school!!! Usually, you'd never catch me using three exclamation points at the same time, but I can always make room for a remarkable exception - how often is it when I'm granted such a long break from studying? 

Oh yes, studying. Let's quietly crawl away from that word, which symbolises many hours of effort, sweat and certainly several glasses full with salty tears... Nah, as much as it pains me to say it, I doubt that I'm going to avoid studying anytime soon. Typically, I like to give myself a relaxing break away from textbooks and revision notes during most half-terms and two week holidays, but unfortunately it isn't on offer this time. Why? Just like all the other year groups at school, I've got several mock exams coming up that commence in fabulous style on the day I return in a fortnights' time. Gulp. 

Like a damsel-in-distress in a horror film, I'm shivering with fear at the prospect of sitting exams which, despite not being anything like the GCSE exams I'll have the honour of going through next year, could significantly affect which sets I'll be placed in in the near future. Although I have no problems with the likes of English Language/Literature, French (mainly the only exam that I'm really looking forward to), Sociology and even Science (as my teacher has assured me that, regardless of the grade I'll get, I stand quite a decent chance of moving up a set), I'm freaking out like a hysterical diva over my two Maths mock exams. 

For starters, I wasn't even told that I was going to have two mock exams - perhaps because my teacher anticipated my having a complete meltdown if he dared to let it slip during class! Furthermore, I don't have the faintest clue about what the exams will cover, which is stopping me from revising the subject. Sure, I might not have skipped up and down the hall like a kangaroo when I finally received my mock exam timetable last Friday, yet there is no way that I want to fail - even in the subjects that I detest with a vengeance. And, to make matters much worse, I can't even find past papers on the examination board's website which provides my Maths course - simply a wonderful beginning to a potentially traumatic ending...

Still, I'm not going to allow one tiny thing - OK, I'll admit that it's a bit bigger than that - ruin the two weeks ahead of me, which I'm keen to relish as though each day is the last. In the meantime, I'm going to combine an equal mixture of revision time (starting today with an oh-so-enjoyable French reading paper - a super easy A* within twenty minutes!) - and playtime. In my world, 'playtime' can mean anything such as listening to music, watching TV and gazing adoringly at the Lindt bunnies that I've only got until Thursday to wait for. 

Obviously, I think that mock exams can be rather unfair because they heavily impose on your holidays which, if my calculations are correct, will affect my life for another three years when I hopefully sit my GCSEs, AS-Levels and A2-Levels. Also, I'm considering whether to go to university or not, so I've got quite a few years until my Easter holidays and summers will be exam-free.

Before I do anything else, let's just focus on today and, for my benefit, try not to think too far in advance. As if I want to regret not focusing enough on the present day in the future - there is too much fun to not miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment