Sunday 1 June 2014

Sunday Note: Let's Make It a Quick One!

Whoever reads this deserves a 'hello' (thankfully not the greeting 'cheerio' which, with no gratitude expressed towards foreign TV shows, is not associated with modern day British culture) as I write on this Sunday afternoon, keen to make the most of some spare time before a repeat of The Simpsons is aired in half an hour's time. Some things - even including childhood favourite programmes - never change, do they?

Since producing my farewell piece here two days ago, I've mainly spent the weekend getting ready for the upcoming week ahead, which now that I have less than twenty four hours to go until the new term commences, is playing more on my mind than previously before. But, in true LikeATeen style, there is no way that my courageous self will give into the nerves which would have otherwise plagued me like a seasonal cold if I had never discovered the true meaning of confidence: what is there to be afraid of? Millions of students attend school every day without even thinking about it, so the fact that I will be joining them shouldn't come across as a big deal - indeed, I couldn't imagine feeling happier about enrolling in a new school! 

Having already stacked more than I probably need (and can safely carry without running the risk of breaking several bones, least of all my back) into my backpack and on the verge of preparing my packed lunch later today, it is fair to say that I've literally done everything in the run up to tomorrow and the days beyond; though this day itself has been a quiet one, it doesn't mean at all that I've indulged in the luxury of self-pampering or laziness! Like a hungry kitten - one of whom has not pushed his luck in recent days, but has twice tossed my plant all over the mink-coloured carpet - awaiting his meal, I'm greatly thrilled about what tomorrow lies in store for me, along with the work and socialization which will surely be brought along with it. If my excitement has reached fever pitch at this stage, who knows how I'll be feeling - or buzzing - by tomorrow morning! 

Most importantly of all, I hope to carry on running my blog and fill you in on what is happening in the life of a modern teen; at the end of the day, isn't story-telling one of my most meaningful duties? I'm by no means a quitter nor a person likely to give up at the first hurdle, so I intend to try my hardest - also within my education - to write here whenever possible because I would loathe nothing more than throwing away the hard work I've put into managing Life as a Modern Teen. And, as proof of my naïvety, perhaps somebody has indeed read my articles at one point or another; whether I have a million followers (pretty pointless, when you think about it, as I decided long ago to abstain from social media altogether) or none, I will continue my blogging journey, if not for the sake of my writing skills! 

Sometimes, life gives you lemons - preferably in the form of a lemon drizzle cake, though the sugar would more likely irritate my spot-prone skin - and whatever else it throws at you, but the opportunity to return to school is what I herald as a wonderful gift. Like many things, the beginning can often put you on edge and I won't deny my short, easily forgettable feelings relating to anxiety in the days leading to tomorrow, particularly as this half-term has been somewhat of a 'goodbye' to my home-schooling ways. Certainly, my farewell to seven years of home education has been bittersweet because, whilst I cannot contain my joy over attending secondary school, I've grown up with it, which has unsurprisingly defined myself since I began being home-schooled at the age of eight. But, now that I'm older, I feel capable of embracing a change as big as returning to mainstream education and, as I experienced on my 'taster' day last week, I haven't regretted it in the slightest!

Of course, I'm growing more impatient by the minute as a desire to see my friends and catch up with them continuously crosses my mind, along with an eagerness to immerse myself into studying with a newfound motivation; if a library is only a short walk away, what could possibly go wrong? And I haven't even attended an English lesson yet, so there is plenty of territory which has yet to be explored!

Anyway, I'm trying very hard (yet failing terribly) to stick to my original intentions of keeping this note a quick one, but there goes my wannabe writer gaining control once again! Whatever happens, I want to maintain the easy flow of writing which Life as a Modern Teen has offered me since it popped up on the internet last October, though I don't expect to find tons of free time at any given moment. As I will soon learn, the weekends are to be cherished and a blessing for those tired of getting up at six in the morning for five days straight - my excuse for appreciating Sundays because of roast potatoes may soon no longer apply!

Comme toujours, I'm keeping it real and staying true to myself which, as many people are bound to agree, is the very best thing that I can do at such an exhilarating, yet life-changing time. Hopefully many doors will be opened to my dreams of becoming a journalist and whatever else has never even occurred to me, but tomorrow - and my first week at secondary school - will mark the beginning of a new era.

And, with my blog standing beside me as ever, let's start living it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment