Sunday 8 June 2014

Weekend Distractions

Despite getting her blogging fix several hours ago, this technology-mad teenager couldn't resist returning to her precious blog as soon as possible, especially as she will be yet again reminded to get an early night's sleep for tomorrow, in order to avoid falling into a Sleeping Beauty-isque slumber in the classroom. Indeed, pushing my blogging duties aside in order to focus on school has created somewhat of an ache which needs to be addressed, especially as my chances of finding some spare time during the week are as slim as a carb-avoiding model's waist. Therefore, as a means of satisfying my craving to write, I've made a spur-of-the-moment to jot my thoughts down here for the second time in one day which, for those unfortunate to be surrounded by an easily irritated teenager, will be greeted with a round of relief from not only my family, but also myself.

Although I've already developed an eagerness to attend my classes and keep on the good side of my teachers - had it not been down to my desire to learn, I may have decided to stay at home when I woke up with a cold and sore throat on Friday morning - attending school, or rather my first proper week at a secondary school, has drained me of all the energy I used to reserve for my hobbies, obviously including blogging. As I ease into following a strange new routine five days per week, the fact that I will no longer dedicate as much time to thinking and talking about my school day won't raise many eyebrows, including my pair which I try my hardest to steer clear of over-plucking (the era of the 'Scouse brow' will be nearing its end soon, if Cara Delevingne's thick eyebrows offer any imput).

This week, and perhaps the next few, was bound to result in a noticeable lack of time as I settled into a different way of life which, considering that I was home-schooled from the age of eight, it truly is. And, whatever happens, I'm determined to carry on blogging and writing for my personal pleasure whenever time grants me to do so - after all, who wouldn't want to stopping hearing the thoughts and opinions of a modern day teenager? Plus, my views and mindset are likely to strengthen and develop into a maturity beyond my imagination as I get older, a thought of which fills me with a breath-taking excitement. Some teenagers scream with delight over purchasing half-price One Direction concert tickets (albeit the price drop was related to a joint-smoking incident amongst two band members), whilst others like myself get breathless at the thought of their maturity in several years' time. That is not only who I want to be, but who I am as a person.

Thinking about whatever crosses my mind - whether it relates to my future plans or which percentage of dark chocolate I'm in the mood to try - is my idea of therapy because I'm immersed into a freedom from which adolescence somewhat restricts me, such as being able to go to certain places alone or buying clothes different to my typical style. Freedom equates to thinking clearly without restrictions blocking my path towards self-actualization, producing a happiness entirely suited to my tastes and needs. Unsurprisingly, blogging ticks all of those boxes whilst keeping myself amused on a Sunday afternoon - need I say more?

Moving on, this entry shall not reach the length as my previous post because, unlike the one I posted earlier today, the clock ticks closer towards bedtime as each second passes by, making each moment more important than the last. Plus, I also cannot afford to forget to print a recipe which needs to be brought into my cookery class at school tomorrow, otherwise a glare will be directed towards my dad - who, by then, will have arrived at work and may already be tucking into his lunch (how I detest waiting until quarter past one in the afternoon to gobble my cucumber-and-pepper roll) - because he will have failed to teach me how to use the printer properly. Ah, the perils of a Kodak printer which is incapable of printing a single page whenever necessary goes on like a Prime Minister's speech; if it wasn't for my younger brother's tendencies to get on my nerves shortly before bed (in many ways, I'm like a sheepdog because I have to herd him into his yet-to-be-unpacked bedroom), I probably would have been bored to sleep long before now because using a printer is ever so exhausting.

Anyway, the message is clear that time is restrictive and therefore as precious as a pair of Tiffany's earrings, so I really must hurry up before I am the one herded into bed. And my family knows that I have very little patience for dogs, let alone those who bark! So, tonight I'd like to give you a short, yet sweet (obviously sugar-free) glimpse into what distracts me at the weekends, resulting in an idealistic image of homely heaven. Some are simple and perhaps related to your habits, but the weekend is all about doing what you want to do - or, as I've proved in the past two days alone, all that I've wanted to do is hardly anything at all...

1. Shopping Therapy
Having only spent a penny here and there since moving house over two months ago, I realized the consequences of my shopping-free habits by walking into a shop called TK Maxx yesterday afternoon as a desire to pick up all the items in the store touched me deeply, albeit a little bit far. As one is expected to survive via spending a few pennies on the necessities, I haven't entirely gone cold turkey in relation to my shopping habits because the odd £5 or so has been spent on Maybelline lipsticks (one of which I've even worn to school), but what I truly needed was a mini shopping spree to clear the air. And guess what? I got my shopping hit only twenty four hours ago - at barely £40, it was much cheaper than an hour spent in therapy, to say the least!
Now that my time will mainly be restricted to the weekends, it seems fair that I ought to let my hair down at the weekend and, staying true to my gender, shopping is the perfect way of relieving myself from stress and bother I've experienced in the past few days. Picking up a new Kenneth Cole purse and tiger-print umbrella cheered me up after falling prey to a bout of the teenage blues a while before, along with a black-and-white rose-patterned scarf and two Parisian-inspired make-up bags making their way into my possession.
Perhaps I truly needed an hour away from home/school life or I deserved to spend a bit of the pocket money I worked hard to obtain, but it was worth it. And, if money and time allows, I recommend that all teenagers - including yourself, regardless of your age - ought to engage in similar activities because we have a right to treat ourselves once in a while. If anything, isn't giving into small indulgences a vital part of humanity?

2. Television
Without a doubt, millions of teenagers like myself reserve a fondness like none other for the all-mighty television because, however we're feeling or are interested in doing, it caters for our moments of pure craziness, happiness and misery-drenched sadness, especially as more and more programmes are aimed at our age group. In fact, TV couldn't be more exciting to watch in this day and age because teenagers are often a valued source of inspiration for countless programmes - is it any wonder that the likes of The Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl have been heralded as hits around the world?
Anyway, that doesn't suggest at all that I mainly reserve my TV-viewing habits to programmes revolving around teenagers (albeit The Vampire Diaries is a major exception), if one could base it upon my DVD collection alone. Even from my early teenage years, I've enjoyed the programmes that my parents used to like when originally aired, such as Desperate Housewives and Twin Peaks, a cult classic of which I've craved to re-watch for weeks. Saying that, I don't limit myself to various themes because literally anything goes; on paper, who would have expected me to become one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's biggest fans?
For the first time in almost a week, I sat down in front of the television to catch up with Revenge beside my father on Friday night which, since the third season returned to our screens in January, had reached its finale. From the second that Emily Thorne appeared on screen, I was gripped to the very end, wincing and crying out in shock when a major event - one of which I won't mention further, in case I let the cat out of the bag for some disappointed fans - rocked Emily's life and revenge-seeking plans. And, when my attention is focused on a fictional character's circumstances for an hour or so, I know that I'm at my happiest: isn't escaping reality one of the weekend's greatest pleasures?
Although I appreciate the gifts which reality brings to my life, there are times when I wish for nothing more than to be distracted for a while - and, without fail, watching television at the weekend fits the bill perfectly. Television satisfies a wish for peace and relaxation whilst answering my stress-free needs; if that's addressed, I demand nothing more at the weekend. And that's how it should be.

3. Family time
Many might assume that teenagers are keen to escape home as soon as the first bus arrives in town on a Saturday morning, but I'm not interested in leaving my home once the weekend arrives; in fact, the whole point of enjoying a weekend is about sharing it with my family, most particularly my parents.
Since I started school at the beginning of this week, I've had to wrap my head around the fact that fewer hours will be spent in their presence as school life gradually takes over my old routine, so this weekend has not been directly rooted in replenishing my needs, but sharing some time with the people I love most. My family and I have always been close, so it is somewhat out of the question to steer clear of them when an opportunity to hang out with them arises - how else would I prefer to spend my time?
I may function pretty well when sitting alone in my bedroom as I feel at ease in my company, but it is a comfort to realize that my family know me inside out, capable of sensing when I crave to be surrounded by others or wish to keep to myself. As it is bound to take some time until my classmates at school get to know me, I don't feel alone as soon as I step through the door at home because I needn't lift a finger to make friends and break the rock-solid ice which exists among strangers; my family are my friends and have always made me feel comfortable, a feeling of which isn't always easily discovered in a place like school.
It's great to have a break from tasks such as forming friendships, getting used to school life and, unless it hasn't yet occurred to you, accepting the separation I face by staying apart from my family for over six hours per week day, which reminds me of how important the weekend is. Family time is not a distraction, but a part of life which means the world to me, keeping my spirits alive during those moments when I crave it more than life has to offer.

Life is full of distractions and, as we get older and aspects of our world morph into other things, we have to accept that we will get distracted - either born out of frustration or need - from time to time. But the so-called 'distractions' as listed above create a sense of happiness which I like to have at the weekend when a two-day break is all but the main focus in my thoughts. There are many more distractions which steal the spotlight on Saturdays and Sundays, but I needn't go into full detail; if it makes me happy, then I'll forever be distracted by the likes of decent Saturday night TV, shopping sprees and even the company of my family. And you know what? I like distractions for the relief they bring towards the end of an exhausting week - and, whatever happens, should always be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment