Wednesday 28 May 2014

Teenage Loves: Music

Morphing into a food-obsessed teenager who flies into a rage worthy of being compared to King Kong may bring many unwanted problems into one's oh-so-hectic life, but I wish to assure you - whether you have been thrust into the grip of puberty or waved goodbye to your last spotty breakout long ago (how I envy you so!) - that a light exists at the other end of the tunnel, or rather when your years of growing up-related misery comes to an abrupt stop. A light, as many of us already knows, creates a sense of calm and gives us perspective into believing that whatever we're going through - greasy hair that wouldn't have looked out of place in a deep fat fryer included - will be sorted out or, though whilst we're stuck in the mighty deep end we would prefer to not think about anything else, isn't as devastating as we automatically believe, hopefully avoiding a toddler-style tantrum from your inner Oscar-winning drama queen. Within all of us, a light is waiting to be switched on to full power as it is supposed to, but it isn't the biggest surprise of the year if we sometimes struggle to find the switch-on button; after all, how can we catch a glimpse of light if darkness (and irritable moods) surrounds us? In my wannabe doctor mode, I want to offer you guidance towards discovering your personally-sized light and leaving your days of blue feelings firmly in the past - lights, or whatever is our source of happiness, come in all shapes and sizes!

Though our parents are quick to tell us off if we leave our bedroom light on for a long period because of the forever-rising energy bills, you needn't be gripped by sharp-as-a-knife panic by coming across the button which brings your light to life; unlike our so-called 'energy-saving' bulbs or 'environment-friendly' lamps, your inner 'light' won't make as much as a dent on the bills nor affect your weekly pocket money fund either! Within a paragraph and a bit of discussing it, referring to my theory as a 'light' has quickly become boring and, to the naked eye (or those who have skimmed through the sentences without taking in my beliefs), is confusing, but what I intend to express is that happiness - which, if you think about it, engulfs us in a glorifying light like nothing else - persists within everybody. Otherwise, how would we ever be open to the idea of putting on a smile or enjoying ourselves, both well-known symbols of happiness? 

Yet there are occasions when we lose sight of happiness and forget to stay in contact with it, which is a common occurrence throughout the tedious growing up years: adolescence. If I had all the time in the world (and a potion which would grant me the necessary patience), I would write a book as long and heavy as a copy of The Lord of the Rings about the many perils I have encountered - and continue to do so - throughout puberty, but I think that people both young and old can relate to the issues that teenagers go through without needing to be glued to a book heavier than my overfilled handbag. Of course, adolescence is an exciting time because we gradually get ready to swap a free-and-easy childhood for life as an adult, which grants us more freedom than our once-naïve selves can dare to imagine, but what would life be without coming across several obstacles - even those spot-shaped ones - along the way? 

At first, you are acquainted with a 'friend' who, beneath its tempting allure at a time when you trick yourself into believing that you need it most, is truly a friend in disguise - self-obsessed pity - which, once you've cried your heart out over your catastrophic complexion (your words, not mine), deprives you of the happiness that used to be in your reach. And then, how do you feel? Sad, lonely and prone to sinking into a sulk are a few of the many emotions that teenagers experience on a regular, if not daily basis, but if you poke your head out of the water which is hiding you away from the surface, perhaps you could see that a light - of any source - still glows in your direction, otherwise solid proof of the fact that you are not alone. 

If it is any consolation to your up-in-the-air feelings, it is the most ordinary thing in the world to feel upset or trapped in a room with only your mind for company because, after all, it is expected at our age - and will remain so for many generations to come! But now that I've addressed the bad feelings element which places our inner light in lockdown, it is time to look at what cures or, at a push, calms our highly-strung emotions, hopefully resulting in our renewed ability to access happiness - and also switch on our non-bill-related lights - with ease. 

Since setting up my blog, I've talked about various interests of mine to great detail - who could ever wipe their memories of my famed entry solely dedicated to a life-long passion for chocolate? - but there haven't been any particular stand-out moments where music has taken centre stage or, in this case, inspired me to spring my wannabe journalist into life. Among my bookcase-load of books and expanding collection of DVDs, music has been counted as one of my major loves since what has felt like forever - after all, I'm still using the same walkman (embarrassingly a pastel pink-coloured model) that my parents bought me for Christmas almost a decade ago! 

Though my original tastes are nowadays more likely to turn my face the shade of a cherry tomato (ever heard of Girls Aloud , anybody?), age has motivated me to evolve in terms of my musical preferences which, during those moments when I struggle to relax and am in need of taking my mind off small matters, becomes much more than a minor interest or a means of killing some spare time. Whilst I was mainly interested in the beats and vocals at a younger age, lyrics are more likely to be the be- and end-all for me nowadays because they either hit me with their importance or leave me colder than before I listened to the track, proving that all areas relating to the production of music cannot be ignored or indeed sacrificed in the sake of selling a chart-topping hit. 

Unsurprisingly, dance-inspired tracks are all about getting the listeners up from their seats and dancing to the sensational beats - considering that around half of the songs featured on my Spotify playlist are nightclub anthems, I'm all but familiar with this practice - so lyrics may not necessarily be such a priority, but we adapt an entirely different view if the nature of the song changes, particularly if the track is a ballad or sung in an emotional style. Singers like Taylor Swift and Bruno Mars might not have enjoyed such glorious success had it not been for their songs featuring lyrics which are not only imprinted upon our minds, but represent a strong meaning - but, as these two examples have proven, it is possible to write beautiful lyrics whilst maintaining the quality of the track's beat, both of which are vital characteristics in today's all-or-nothing music industry.

That is why it means a lot to me when I listen to a song which ticks all the right boxes for the first time because, more often than not, I'm likely to feel disappointed as a track doesn't always live up to my expectations or, in a sense, doesn't bring them to life. Singers and bands must face such a struggle to produce songs that are in favour of their musical style whilst attracting the fans they need in order to become a success; in many cases, countless talented musicians are often left with no choice except to quit the job they love due to little or no exposure, along with their must-have burst of sweet success. And, whether you've experienced it or not, I'm often taken by surprise by all types of singers and bands - regardless of whether they appeal to the mainstream or not! But it is easy to catch onto what is popular because a singer or band's popularity must exist for a certain reason; surely your chances of liking their material are higher than taking a leap of faith with an artist whose name is mainly based underground? And, as I'll present to you in a moment, my music tastes reflect this, though that doesn't suggest in any way that I've deprived myself of anything different. In any case, would the term 'one-hit wonder' have ever been created? 

My love for music has not only permanently installed several catchy tunes in my memory, but has lent a helping hand at the times when I needed something great, attention-grabbing and, most importantly, fun to engage me. Down below is a list of a few artists who have popped up along my journey towards discovering my 'inner light' - who knows how I would've survived without them! 

Sade: Despite the name often being referred to the Nigeria-born British singer, Sade is indeed a band that was formed in 1984 and, though the albums have been few and far between (it took a decade until their band's recent album, Soldier of Love, was released after 2000's Lovers Rock), the songs have always been of the utmost quality, otherwise very worthy of being listed as one of my favourite bands/singers. 
Helen Abu, better known by her stage name 'Sade', is famed for her softly sung vocals which compliment the band's jazz-infused vibes perfectly, and is exactly what you want to hear after a long, hard day at school or work. From the likes of the catchiest song ever - the irresistibly jazz-inspired Smooth Operator - to the rockier No Ordinary Love, Sade reformed the image of the jazz genre, modernizing it whilst remaining loyal to its roots. 
Whenever I'm having one of those days in which I don't fancy modern or old-school pop, I turn towards Sade for a burst of jazz entwined with soul, a hybrid of which I haven't witnessed nor heard for as long as I began listening to music. And almost always as soon as the song nears the end, I yearn to hear it again - it hardly matters if I've heard the same track hundreds of times before! Not many singers or indeed bands have captivated my attention or been cherished as much as Sade have, so it somewhat a big deal if such a thing occurs; it shouldn't be a surprise that Sade is on my oh-so-short list because the music from all eras never falters in quality or style.
Even talking about the band is starting some hunger-like cravings to listen to one of the many fine tracks that they have produced, so I ought to put a lid on it before my desire to hear Cherish the Day spirals out of my control...
Best for: Lovers of soul, jazz and subtle vocals which tell a bigger story than any lyrics, however meaningful, ever will. 
Best tracks: Smooth Operator, Never As Good As The First Time, No Ordinary Love, Cherish The Day and Soldier of Love

Madonna: An obvious preference for a wannabe 80s' child (somehow, I just about made it onto the 90s' baby list, though NSYNC mania had then destroyed all hopes of witnessing the popularity of shoulder pads and Dynasty), I've been fed on a diet consisting of Like a Virgin, Papa Don't Preach and Like a Prayer - all the controversial ingredients nonetheless - since discovering Madonna at the age of eleven, whilst taking a hiatus from Australia's equivalent pop queen, Kylie Minogue. Expressing my femininity through music has all but been an important job for me because pop music represents girliness - and nights spent singing into a hairbrush, of course - like nothing else, so I was thrilled when I had an epiphany in the form of the Lucky Star music video almost four years ago. 
Seemingly ageless and as prominent within the music industry as ever, Madonna has built a reputation which, despite throwing her image and public persona into jeopardy over the year, continues to grow at a super-fast rate, immune to downfall or calls to act her age (she will turn 56 this August) at long last. But, in true iconic style, Madonna refuses to listen and continues to wear outfits which would look even a step too far for the likes of Lady Gaga, though it is her past catalogue - minus the neon yellow nail varnish - which I love and cherish so greatly. 
Making her name with timeless tracks such as Into the Groove (always a favourite on British radio almost thirty decades since it was released), Material Girl and Holiday in the 80s' has made Madonna a force to be reckoned with but, despite loving all the tracks listed, I was more drawn towards the work she produced during the 90s, which I've heralded as her most creative and, in part, misunderstood era. When 1992's Erotica was released to horror from critics and fans alike for its highly 'erotic' nature (it was in the name, after all), Madonna didn't stand down nor allowed others to prevent her from singing the songs she wanted which, as singing is her job, ought to be respected. Apart from the eponymous single, the rest of the album wasn't what I deemed to be erotic in a noticeable manner, but was a hidden jem which the music industry has yet to appreciate. And since that album was released over twenty years ago, I don't think that the public has understood or respected Madonna's work as much as they did during her 'heyday' during the 80s - but that's only my opinion! 
I will admit that I have little fondness for her most recent albums, such as Hard Candy and 2012's MDNA (the title's reference towards drugs wasn't appreciated in the slightest), I still listen to her old work because it is timeless. And how will I ever stop singing the lyrics to Lucky Star?
Best for: Pop fans who would curtsy in front of what many would called The Queen of Pop. 
Best tracks: Burning Up, Lucky Star, Like a Virgin, Papa Don't Preach, Like a Prayer, Deeper and Deeper, Nothing Really Matters and Hollywood

Lana Del Rey: Although my first encounter with the American song-writer came at one of the worst times in my life - in fact, the day after my beloved cat, Tom, passed away - it was however a positive one and, more than a year after I was introduced to Born to Die, I continue to relish the album as though I only picked it up yesterday, falling asleep to the sultry vocals sung on Blue Jeans.
The reasons for which I like Lana - a.k.a. known as Elizabeth Grant, otherwise her birth name - are rather simple: whilst appealing to the mainstream charts, Lana injects a burst of old-school blues which enlightens her listeners to a long-gone era in her trademark style. Like dance queen Madonna, Lana Del Rey is original in her own right because, quite frankly, there aren't any other artists which share her classic style nor an obvious fixation with 50s'-inspired blues whilst maintaining a modernized edge - in other words, her breakthrough single, Video Games, is therefore a classic as it cleverly combines emotive and retro-style vocals with a modern day beat, revitalizing a fresh image for the beloved ballad.
Through my tears and sadness over losing Tom, Lana was my sole source of enjoyment as I learnt to the lyrics to Off to the Races and began to emulate my new favourite singer wherever I went - how could I not resist singing along to Born to Die whilst washing my hair? Her stand-out tracks - including the likes of This is What Makes Us Girls and National Anthem, my favourite track on her album - would sometimes hit me hard with their meaning or remain stuck on constant rewind in my mind for days afterwards which, upon reflection, is a difficult feat for any singer to achieve. All of Lana's songs are memorable and easily enjoyed from the very first listen; she possesses a power which guarantees satisfaction whenever you listen to her songs!
As her upcoming album, the attractively titled Ultraviolence, is set to be released next month, I'm literally bursting with excitement about getting my hands (or ears!) upon her newest tracks, having been blown away from her rock-inspired West Coast over a month ago. Her style might have changed - gone are the innocent girl lyrics, and here come subtle inspirations from L.A. - but I still love her music just as much as before. And, when you put your mind to it, how many artists are capable of keeping their fans on board throughout their varying eras? Lana is definitely one of them.
Best for: Those craving music of yesteryear and indie lovers who are in need of joining the mainstream whilst staying loyal to their roots.
Best tracks: Born to Die, Blue Jeans, Summertime Sadness (do not listen to the Cedric Gervais remix - the original is the best!), National Anthem, Ride, Cola and West Coast

1 comment: