Tuesday 13 May 2014

Modern Life: Is any of it essential?

As the creator of a blog which is solely dedicated to following the life of a modern day teenager, one would rightly expect me to know a thing or two about what surrounds us in this day and age, especially as I'm bound to use some of it to my own advantage. Indeed, I jump up and down with delight whenever Apple announce the latest edition to their iPhone range, despite it dawning upon me long ago that, unless my weekly pocket money of £5 increased dramatically (in line with the cost of living, of course), I wouldn't stand a chance in ever forking out enough money to buy one of my own.

Although the things which would attract a teenager as naturally as a clothing sale at Topshop (yet another costly expense, discounts included) are unsurprising at my age, my inquisitive nature knew that it wouldn't take long until I would begin to question the reason why certain aspects of modern day living are deemed to be essential - after all, aren't food and water vital sources in keeping ourselves alive? If the Flintstones had ever lived to witness the day that the internet went viral, it amuses me to imagine whether they would give up their caveman ways and convert to how we techno-junkies - and let's not forget that addiction lies amongst other areas, too - lead our lives in 2014. But if a bottle of grease-controlling shampoo had not yet been created in the Stone Ages, I wouldn't decline such an offer to leave that way of living firmly in the past...

For as long as I can be bothered to recall, hearing the words 'life was better in my day' from people of an older generation sometimes forces me to doubt whether living in such a technically advanced world is a benefit to all of us, especially when dramatic improvements in medicine, living standards and the availability of various products have been a highly influential part of our evolution in the past hundred years alone. Quite often, I feel as though not only my generation - who, once we have used up all of our acne-reducing cleaners and sorted through our adolescent angst, will eventually take over the country - is under threat, but also the era in which we are growing up, particularly as critical comments are targeted towards the modern day standards of living.

Whether we acknowledge the truth or not, life itself will never fully live up to the delightful image we create in our minds, though there will forever be aspects of long-gone eras and modern traditions which will either cause disruption or be a source of joy. But, on the whole, I'm grateful for living in an era where we have access to whatever we need and want - often with a click of a finger. And although being slumped on the sofa whilst watching a Premier League match is not necessarily the wisest way of increasing one's intelligence, I believe that people are smarter than ever because the tools needed to break the barrier preventing us from discovering life-saving drugs are no longer out of reach; as time goes on, research into cures against diseases, cancer and life-threatening conditions ought to become easier, which is one of the greatest things about evolution.

Yet, as too many of us have either realized at one point or is eager to ignore for as long as possible, modern day life is ever riddled with gadgets, features and creations which, in past decades, would have been slumped into a pile of needless junk. And, considering that plenty of what is lurking in our houses is hardly used or remains in its original packaging, these age-old beliefs needn't be forgotten - but when should we turn our backs on what evolution has made possible, and what articles in question does this practice apply to? In age where self-indulgence has become an every day part of life (sadly, I've learnt this the hard way thanks to my hidden stash of chocolate goodies in the kitchen cupboard) and more and more people struggle to conjure the strength necessary to beat temptation, addiction is as familiar as a well-known face which, when the time is right, must be dealt with.

So, does anybody fancy going cold turkey from Facebook for a month? As if I led myself to believe that Facebook-addicts would give up their accounts for several weeks; in several incidents, young people have been diagnosed with an actual addiction to the social networking website which, as many only assume that alcoholism and substance abuse require medical attention, is extremely worrying. Read on for more addictive issues - I hope that yours isn't among them...

Internet: As millions upon millions of the world's population surf the internet on a daily basis, it is fair to say that the internet is now as commonplace as the cups of steaming hot tea which are brewed every day in the family kitchen (obviously not a habit of mine, for the sake of caffeine addiction). Writing this entry requires an internet connection, so I'm getting my hourly burst of Google Time at this very moment, proving that I don't give a second thought to logging onto the 'net and surfing it without treading foot in icy-cold water.
Since the World Wide Web was made accessible to homes in the early 90s', our love affair with the internet has gone from strength to strength, especially that the young generation - including my own, as I was born just before the Millennium - are growing up with it, having not known any different. Despite technology going through leaps and bounds in the past decade alone, it is slowly lost its scary-to-use image, making it more appealing to middle-aged and older people who may have otherwise missed out on this very modern phenomenon.
Simply by clicking a button on a mouse or keypad, the internet transports its user to the very heart of a digital database, thrilling them with a wide choice of websites to visit and numerous services which would never have been created had the internet never come into existence. For example, would TV-streaming services such as Netflix have achieved success around the world if the internet remained an idyllic, but impossible fantasy in one's imagination? In many ways, the internet has produced thousands and thousands of offspring which have flourished in their own right, yet still owe their success to having an internet connection.
Yet, if my beliefs are correct, have we gone too far with the internet which, in certain circumstances, can be the sole root of one's personal issues? Although various websites which promote online dating may mostly be a benefit to those unlucky in love, it doesn't rule out the possibility of a situation spiralling out of control; of course, the internet holds no responsibility in how one may use it, but it doesn't take away the fact that, had it not been created, several incidents may never have happened at all.
Having grown up with the internet and used it from a young age (with parental supervision, though I mostly reserved my searches to the Bratz online fan club), my parents have stressed time and time again to be cautious about what I disclose online because, almost nine times out of ten, it usually cannot be erased after declaring it. Perhaps if I didn't get my head glued in horrific stories where lives have been lost due to young children meeting up with so-called online 'friends', my wariness on the internet might ease a bit but, having been brought up with a head screwed on tight and showered in common sense, I would prefer to feel that way than being dismissed as the most naive girl on the planet.
Sitting on a screen and being entertained brings pleasure to many people - including myself - yet the thought of strangers abusing this service plants a deeply rooted fear within myself, especially as nobody has the powers to prevent it. And, as my question asks, if trouble and criminal activity is often associated with the internet, should we be stepping away from it or keeping a steadier eye on others' motives?
As I only use the internet for the right purposes - none of which threaten to throw my morals in jeopardy - I will carry on using the internet because it is a valued source of education, which I count as an essential. But everything which goes with it? The world can live without the unnecessary features - and we know it.

Celebrity-endorsed diets: However hard that parents steer their children - typically of an innocent and impressionable nature which somewhat exists to a smaller degree during adolescence - away from what could potentially catch their eye, one would have to wrap their child in cotton wool to protect them from the dangers surrounding diets, most often endorsed by celebrities whose figures are as skinny as a fat-free celery stick.
Being female and at a time when my body is gaining Beyoncé-style curves, I disguise the facts that even my clued-up self gets conscious about my appearance from time to time - and when pictures of ultra-beautiful women are plastered over almost all the magazines aimed at my age group, who wouldn't be surprised?
One modern-day battle which the feminism movement has unfortunately failed to win is destroying the Photoshoped image of beauty for once and for all - although it couldn't be more obvious that celebrities adorning the latest cover of Vogue haven't said no to a bit of airbrushing, these false illusions often prey on the minds of the most vulnerable girls and boys in our society. Ever wondered why diagnoses of anoxeria nervosa and bulimia are on the rise for both sexes? Even men are unable to escape the trap which encases insecurity with our looks and, as fad diets have proven over the years, our weight. And it needs to stop now.
Although plenty of celebrities don't openly endorse a diet or, in some instances, don't even follow one, it irritates me beyond belief that there are several who make no secret in limiting their calorie intake, especially when their bodies couldn't look more perfect to the naked eye.
From Jennifer Aniston's calorie-free Atkins diet (bad breath anyone?) to Gwyneth Paltrow's carb-avoiding rules which even extends to her young children, the world has been awash with A-List stars who clearly have nothing better to do than to think about themselves 24/7. After all, isn't that what their jobs enable them to do? While many of us 'normal' people might find immense pleasure in devouring a decadent chocolate cake, various celebrities lean towards to over-indulging in their self-obsessed ways which, after making themselves appear high-and-mighty when discussing their size 6 figures, in turn we begin to judge ourselves as we wish to live up to Mother Nature's image of ideal beauty.
Ah, life is an exhausting cycle and so often leaves us exhausted, but do diets - most of which have been criticized by doctors and researchers alike - endorsed by celebrities contribute anything positive to our lives? At the end of the day, if a celebrity is getting paid to promote a diet or spread the latest trend sparked around Hollywood, it's a case of needs must to bring dinner onto the table (if they even eat it).
A job is a job, yet it is a step too far for people who may not realize the consequences of depriving their bodies of essential vitamins and minerals. Appreciate your body and treat it like a precious jewel - but slimy green smoothies? No, thank you!

Deep fat-fryer: Thanks to my mum occasionally switching a particular shopping channel which sells warehouse loads of Tefal deep-fat fryers, I often find myself questioning its usefulness in an era where, despite obesity levels rocketing through the roof and you needn't look far to discover a takeaway, plenty of people are conscious about the amount of fat they consume.
But, as a heads-up to the fabulous comedienne and Fashion Police star, Joan Rivers, here are pieces of her classic wisdom which, even when my cravings for KFC become too much, I return to again and again, though it wouldn't surprise me if Adele's lawyers were to sue me in the near future: "Rolling in the deep? She should add fried chicken?"
Now you know why deep-fat fryers should cease to exist immediately!

Social networking sites: As soon as I started to type my first words on this entry, it dawned upon me like the morning sunrise that the subject of social networking sites would be brought up at one point or another as it is indeed a vital part of the media, internet and of course its users in today's society. Why else did the famous celebrity selfie at this year's Oscars' ceremony break records around the world?
After having a full-on debate about it last year, I made a resolution to not create an account with the likes of Facebook and Twitter, purely by the horrifying cases which have been convicted in the past few years alone. Although I did sign up to Google+ when I joined Blogger last year, I have no interest in using the account as, unlike Facebook, hardly celebrities use it, so my hopes of reading a witty-ditty by a heartthrob are pretty slim.
My views are purely my own and won't be pressed upon those who don't give the slightest toss about them, but I often feel like I'm the only teenager who has willingly decided to stay away from social networking websites - at the end of the day, I don't want people to assume that my parents has forced this choice upon me, especially as I consciously make decisions sans the help of my mum and dad. If anything, what would I say half the time? Tweeting about my cats' tossing dried clothing across the kitchen floor is unlikely to entertain my followers, let alone interest them, so I truly don't see the point in becoming a member of Facebook or Twitter.
In fact, the nearest I get to enjoying social networking websites is viewing celebrities' accounts, partly because I'm in need of finding something to do and also as I never say no to a cheap pick-me-up via a lame joke. But, whenever my loathing for celebrities and their diets takes centre stage, this activity loses its edge and, once again, I resume to leading a tweet-free existence - and couldn't be happier.
Yet, behind the pouting 'selfies' and amused messages, does having a social media account offer you a burst of joy which is non-existent in your life, hiding problems behind the screen? Too often, I sigh on the occasions that I catch a glimpse of teenagers - a few of whom might appear in the newspapers for tragic reasons - gazing at a fuzzy camera, trying so hard to emulate an older woman or man yet cannot disguise the child who lurks beneath. If that is what is promoted by teenagers my own age, I have no desire to be a part of it as an obsession to keep up with my peers will entail, resorting in who knows what.
And is it just me when it seems that having a social media account is a way of bragging about yourself? A picture here and there isn't a problem, but one can easily be swept into madness and lose all sense of maintaining some dignity. All I'm saying is that you can still have your cake and eat it, but in moderation - even as the years have flown by, society doesn't appreciate a show-off, does it?






No comments:

Post a Comment