Wednesday 18 February 2015

Nail Polish Review Time

You know what I've been looking forward to the most about half-term? Along with the lazier-than-you-can-dream-about lie-ins, opportunities to raid the fridge at any given opportunity (obviously when your mum and hungry cats aren't looking in your direction) and numerous hours that you can devote to watching TV instead of completing coursework, half-term represents one very special thing: painting my nails. 

Apart from a slightly pink-coloured top coat, nail polish is otherwise banned during term-time, or so my school's uniform code states; ever since I started there just before Christmas, I've noticed many girls wearing bright and completely noticeable shades on their nails which, if it wasn't for my seething with envy, I would've quite liked. Also, having quickly established a reputation as the 'perfect pupil' - which has been further boosted since an 'outstanding' written report from my teachers arrived in the past last Saturday - I can't really afford to be caught dipping my fingers into blood-red gunk, despite having such a great fetish for it. And, as if that wasn't enough to motivate me to listen to my inner angel, I'm determined to be selected as a senior prefect this year - therefore a squeaky clean record is absolutely essential

Despite loving my nails dearly, I realise that there are more important things in life which deserve greater attention, though nothing can deny that I'm a very vain girl at heart! Still, half-term and holidays are about every six weeks or so, meaning that I'm not short of opportunities to stylize my nails however I wish. 

Instead of going for an extremely bold colour (which is totally against the rules, I know - the red-horned version of myself would be cackling loudly!), I decided to paint my nails a nude, pearly shade two days ago. The reason why? Unlike several of the nail polishes I've purchased of late, this one didn't look unattractively gloopy which, if you are virtually inexperienced with nail painting, can result in your coats being way too thick. 

The polish? I chose Rimmel London Lycra Pro in White Orchid, which looked like this:
Depending on my mood, I might have found it a tad boring because it hardly looks much different to my nails sans polish, but sometimes - even when your heart is really craving for a splash of grungey purple and Valentine's Day red - keeping it simple is best. Originally, I was tempted to paint my nails a minty colour, but that posed a major problem: what would I wear? Personally, I don't think that pale green co-ordinates well with bright blue jeans which, when I'm hanging out at home, is my wardrobe staple. Perhaps a shade best reserved for when I'm unlikely to be wearing much or am too hot to even consider the pros and cons of the colour green...

Anyway, I used to wear this shade several years ago - even getting away with it when I was actually at primary school - and actually bought it last month because I wanted to treat my nails to a bit of pink magic during term-time. Unfortunately, I never had enough time to paint my nails properly, so this week has been my only opportunity to try the polish at long last. 

My verdict? If you are going to go nude, White Orchid is guaranteed to be your most loyal friend! Pale with a shiny metallic undertone, it certainly attracts attention because your nails look like they have undergone a glamorous makeover, yet it isn't dramatically obvious to the naked eye. From a distance, it appears that I've buffed my nails really well, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to break the school's rules on the quiet - unlike a jungle green, I'm unlikely to be caught red-handed! 



So far, the polish hasn't chipped, but its resilience will be tested if I wear it to school; what with washing my hands and being in contact with various tools, I'll have to be cautious in order to maintain my perfect manicure! 

Overall, would I recommend White Orchid? For glamour pusses who want an understated look, my answer is one massive YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment