Saturday 29 November 2014

What A Week!

When I clicked on the page to create a new post, I was suddenly overwhelmed by a wave of writer's block. Otherwise regarded as my worst nemesis, the words that I had planned to pour into this article slipped from my mind, emptying it like one would with a junk-littered handbag. However, this 'wave' wasn't quite the same as the ones that I've experienced in the past - what nearly knocked me over like a gust of wind was the many things that I would tell within the space of several paragraphs. More news - of the extremely positive kind - than I've ever coped with before has heavily impacted my life over the past week. And, since the words have returned to my ownership, I can now express everything exactly the way I want to - whilst lifting a massive weight off my shoulders.

Who ever believed that words could be so heavy? To the naked eye, words are mere letters and bizarre scribbles that our fingers and Microsoft Word create: as if they could carry any weight! Yet words have the power to grab our attention and change us - unlike weightless feathers, they are not light and airy. If they hold the key to transforming our lives, I wouldn't necessarily assume that words are not heavy: until you feel their wrath, you wouldn't give a second thought about it.

Now, I'm almost crippled by the thousands of words resting on my shoulders, and cannot wait to relieve myself of their enormous weight. However, relief will not flood through my veins by simply placing them onto the ground: after all, there is a reason why we say words. As I wipe a trickle of sweat off my sizzling forehead, the words are dangling on the tip of my tongue. Might as well release them now...

It is all confirmed. The paperwork has been received and will be sent in the post as soon as possible. A trip to an out-of-town shopping centre will secure the purchase of new uniform. And, to my delight, I will be icing my annual Christmas cake whilst my peers lose the will to live as they struggle during a Maths test - the most priceless present on my entire Christmas list.

After six months of what I can only describe as sheer hell, I'm outta there. Nearly. One final day on Monday will hopefully secure the return of my countless books and work which, unlike everything else, were scarcely affected by the traumatic troubles that I endured. Then, once I leap off the grotty, foul-stenched bus one final time, a chapter will have come to a close. That will be it. No more early starts being blighted by aches of dread and tears of anger that, as hard as I would try to release them, would never glisten in my eyes. No more hours wasted on feeling like the loneliest person in the world. And, most important of all, no more questions regarding my safety.

After I go to school on Monday, I'll be going elsewhere - to what I hope will be a much better place.

Despite discussing it in a super-quick post on Tuesday, more news has stolen the spotlight - and gotten me nearer towards escaping the prison that I've been sentenced to since June. As of yesterday, I will be starting at my new school next Thursday, after having enjoyed two days of rest following my final day at what will shortly be the 'old' school. This news has really excited me and, unlike when I started at my old school, I don't feel nervous at all: if anything, I would start right now instead of counting down the days until the moment arrives!

Although moving schools is a major decision and, at this point in my education, quite stressful because of exams, it is a decision that I did not take lightly - but I knew that it was the right one. As much as schoolwork means the world to me, could I honestly take a risk and carry on going to school, in the hope that no more bullying would occur? Peace of mind - for both my family and myself - is priceless: if you feel comfortable in your surroundings, very little should distract you from your studies.

Due to switching schools, this has meant that I've had to choose my GCSE options again. Having first selected them while I was home-schooled and re-chose them earlier this year, I really don't want to hear the word 'options' uttered near me for a very long time! However, my new school has a greater selection and I was spoilt for choice as to which ones to pick: French, Psychology, Business, Sociology... Yet I knew that, in my heart of hearts, that French would be the ultimate option - especially as I intend to study it at A-Level - so, due to being in the same block, I had to choose it over my other great love, Psychology. Oh well, the school does offer Psychology at A-Level so I'll have my opportunity to learn it in less than two years' time - I can wait until then!

As Humanities and Languages are not compulsory unless you choose one, I was able to select two other options from the list. One block only offered three subjects - Computing, Art and Performing Arts. Initially, Computing interested me because it would be quite a good qualification to obtain, but I automatically changed my mind when it was stated that you must have advanced knowledge of Algebra - my definite pet hate! As for Art, a friend from my current school chose it, but has since been swamped with countless homework assignments, most of which she must complete at school because the folders are too big to bring home. Besides, my drawing skills haven't really progressed since I was five years old - even drawing a fish makes me break out into a sweat!

In the end, I selected Performing Arts. Despite leaning further towards the academic side, I can see the countless benefits of choosing the subject; it would hopefully boost my confidence in public speeches (enabling the option of becoming a TV journalist), and provide me with a break from stuffy classrooms! If my areas of expertise didn't particularly lie within drama, I could try my hand at dance, theatre production or even make-up! Or maybe my fantasies of picking an Oscar could be brought to life... who knows?

In the third and final block of options, my heart leapt when I saw 'Sociology' among the list. I'd decided a while ago that, if I couldn't study Psychology, I'd choose Sociology instead - at least my prayer was answered! Business Studies was also listed, but I cared more about Sociology which, according to what I've read, shouldn't be awfully difficult to learn.

All in all, I cannot wait to study those options and enjoy every single moment that I spend there; depending on my results, I hope to stay on to the Sixth Form and lose myself in the worlds of English, French and Psychology for another two years. Feeling excited about school is exactly what I've always wanted and was sadly deprived of at my soon-to-be-former one. What matters most to me is to put the past six months to bed and prepare for embarking a new, happier chapter with a happy ending in sight: brilliant GCSE and A-Level results.

Like my parents constantly say to me, one day at a time. What with cake being involved in my brother's birthday tomorrow, I'm definitely content with taking things rather easy - this has been quite a week that I won't be forgetting in a hurry!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment