Tuesday 25 November 2014

Flavour of The Day? Elation!

Hey,

A quick note from moi, Miss Trying-to-Behave-Like-A-Teen (yet, due to my passion for high end perfumes and disgust at One Direction's latest single, don't quite fill the bill), which will save me plenty of time from writing an essay worthy of an A*. 


Tonight, I feel like writing but am somewhat reluctant - ah, the curse of listening to music really does come alive whenever I'm trying to get into the zone! There is plenty that I wish to tell, yet the words are struggling to come out. Oh well, let's worry about the mess that I'll have to clean up later: now is all about spilling my guts and spitting the truth out. 

I've been offered a place at another school. After nearly six months of constant bullying, poor teaching and freezing treks in the frosty countryside, I'm finally going elsewhere - certainly to a better place! After waiting for the news over the week, I was informed earlier today, which was music to my ears - even better than Lorde's 'Yellow Flicker Beat' that I just listened to! In fact, I truly believe that there aren't any words that accurately describe how I feel right now; as I haven't really had a screaming fit (apart from one in the school toilets which only lasted five seconds) yet, it seems that the news is taking some time to settle in. 

Obviously, I have plenty to digest because the move - which I'm currently unsure as to when it will happen - will involve my changing GCSE options and learning a completely new syllabus. Although tons of work and a relentless supply of elbow grease will definitely play vital roles, I have no qualms about finding myself inundated with revision. 

What matters the most is that my safety is no longer in doubt, something which has been a pressing issue since literally my first day at my current (and soon-to-be-former) school. My mum, my dad and my younger brother, who will also be accompanying me to the new school, are equally elated because they have endured plenty of heartache: seeing your child suffer from the hands of bullies is a thought that I cannot bear to contemplate because the pain must be terribly indescribable. 

Not only were sharp-tongued bullies a major dilemma, but the standard of teaching has been quite concerning - one of my teachers has had a tendency to be absent for several weeks at a time, before reappearing for a lesson or two until she disappears into thin air once again. Also, watching films - which are totally not associated with our education - in some classes for weeks at a time (according to my brother) is a common occurrence: what difference would it make if we popped out to the cinema during precious learning time? Needless to say, my school has created and highlighted many issues that I could never have anticipated when I enrolled back in June - and now I've been given the opportunity to move on from this miserable blip in my life. 

Several things, such as my two pieces of A- and A*-graded English coursework, have been gained during my time at the school, yet they mainly reflected on the abilities in which I sometimes struggled to have faith. I've become more confident in Maths, learnt a little bit about Science - well, only when my teacher decided to show up - and proved to myself that gaining an A is entirely possible in French. However, I could have achieved those things at any school - all I needed was a workbook, a syllabus and some peace to get on with the work. When you strip things back, isn't that what school is all about? Instead, we are defined by numbers, letters, databases and computers which cause more grief than they are worth (as if I'm willing to forget the timetable problems that landed me in a lower English set at the beginning of the year!). 

Though I despise enduring those experiences, I've become a harder nut to crack - developing a skin as thick as my favourite variety of nuts, the creamy Brazil - and am more cautious of people, never accepting on face value. That isn't to say that I was extremely foolish and gullible when I joined the school - not at all - yet you would be hard-pressed to make me lose my guard. I hope that I won't have to analyse people as much at my new school as I currently do; even though safety is my main priority, looking out for myself drains me. Even then, your safety is not guaranteed which defeats the point, and the state of discomfort in which you constantly find yourself. Above all, I want to feel comfortable in my own skin and accepted for who I am; if everyone else has the right to do so, why should I not have an equal opportunity?

Hopefully it won't take too long until the details are sorted and a starting date is confirmed: the sooner I start, the better! In the meantime, I will have to carry on attending my current school until my new one is ready for me to transfer; in all honesty, I don't mind because it brings me hope to consider that, during my darkest moments in the Maths classroom, a place elsewhere has my name on it. I no longer feel that I'm compelled to endure two years or so of constant aggro - whatever happens now will be insignificant because I'll be leaving within no time.

Despite my excitement, I'm reluctant to announce the news to anybody at school. If word spreads, nobody will leave me alone - probably The Sun will interrupt my French lesson to ask me whether I'd give a comment on the matter. Everybody seems to be interested in somebody's business - especially of a juicy kind! When my final day does come, it will only be then that I'll inform my friend, but won't tell anybody else. I'd like to slip away in peace, before everyone questions my disappearance the following day or week  Leaving a mystery behind - which, unlike Donatella Versace's suspiciously shiny face, they cannot solve - will be quite satisfying!

Anyway, I'm so elated to have been offered a chance to re-start and escape a place that I've dreaded going to for way too long. Though six months may only be a tiny fraction of my life, it has been a time that I would prefer to forget and progress from. Success, happiness and a fresh start beckons - let's hope that I'm not forced to wait too long before that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment