Sunday 9 November 2014

Listening To...

Every day, every hour, every second, I'm surrounded by sound. Wherever I am and whatever I'm doing, my ears are alert to the presence of sound - both in the form of loudness and near tranquillity. I hear people talking. My breathing. A gust of wind blowing past me. Unless I embark on a nature retreat in the middle of nowhere, noise is constantly present in my life - the only time that I'm immune from it is while I'm asleep.

However, there is a type of noise that is quite different to what you usually hear, and erupts a sense of pleasure when you listen to it, losing yourself in a stream of hypnotic beats. Music is a joyous noise that I constantly crave to hear, wishing to fill my eardrums with the soothing vocals of Sade instead of hearing the irritating stream of chatter whilst weaving my way through enormous crowds. 

I adore music as much as anybody else, and feel at peace while I'm listening to it. Escapism is a term that springs to mind when explaining the joys of listening to music because I literally escape to another place: is it limbo, or a paradise thousands of miles away from Earth? Anyway, I entirely forget about living on this planet when singing along to Get Lucky on my bed on a Sunday evening - what I hear at that moment is all that matters.

Currently, the music that is most meaningful to me are a variety of songs which I can't resist listening to, indulging on them like one would gorge on a box of truffles (e.g. me yesterday night). Long ago, I gave up figuring out why I refer to music during periods of craving peace because, at the end of the day, it always does the trick. Always. Unless deprived of inspiration when surfing playlists on Spotify, music is guaranteed to hit the spot - satisfying a desire to unleash my inner Mariah Carey or rocking out to feisty anthems - whatever I'm feeling. 

As a teenager, my emotions are central to what I choose to do, which music is even affected by. Is it any wonder that millions of young adults cherish their iPods like the Queen's crown jewels? Music ignites happiness within us, a feeling of which we yearn to experience again and again. Some people get high from taking drugs: I get my hit from losing myself in the world of pop, soul and timeless classics. Needless to say, music is very addictive - but I have no intentions of cutting back on it!

Therefore, I won't be easing on my listening to various songs, some of which have been selected as my current favourites today. If I'm bored, happy, down in the dumps or generally in the mood for some catchy tunes, music is my go-to friend. And, however old I am, I just can't get enough!

1. Changing - Sigma feat. Paloma Faith


2. Yellow Flicker Beat - Lorde

3. Rather Be - Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne

4. My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne

5. Wonderwall - Oasis

No comments:

Post a Comment