Wednesday 19 February 2014

Getting to Know the Modern Teen

If only such a feature like waving my hand wildly was available to post here (depending on whether I, the self-titled ICT queen, have the ability to upload a particular shot on my blog) because there isn't a better way to get a freshly-written post to a brighter and more optimistic start than displaying one of my polite gestures. Well, I have made the message crystal-clear about my unique personality, have I not? Well, read on if you feel the undeniable urge to find out about today's theme.

Bearing in mind that I've been the voice of a modern teen since creating this blog back in late October - or the night of spook-tastic Halloween, if my still-vivid memories of the sugar-free day are correct - I don't think that I've offered you a strong insight into who I am as a person, including my interests, specific views and lifestyle.

No, no, no, I'm more of a person who prefers to shun the spotlight if placed upon my red-faced self because I instantly feel awkward and grimace as clumsily as Kristen Stewart managed to sigh her way through the entire Twilight Saga films, but being able to write in the comfort of my bedroom and Yankee Candle-scented home gives me a cake-shaped slice of confidence which encourages me to break away from my natural timidness and allow my voice to be heard for a little while.

So, please don't threaten to exit your web browser on the basis that I'm on the verge of bragging about my life and portraying myself as a teenager with whom you wouldn't wish to be acquainted - it is the very least of my intentions. That's the reason for which I haven't yet created an 'About Me' page because I wouldn't find much of a challenge in describing my on-going love affair with the final season of Desperate Housewives (like the dodgy door handle a few days ago, the DVD broke for the second time) instead of exploring views which are entirely my own; basically, running this blog is some sort of a long-term school project which I formed of my own accord, finally sick of reading badly-written articles by girls who certainly give grammar-excelling teenagers a wrong name. Even all of the texts I send are written in standard English and have remained so since I purchased my first mobile at the age of twelve - a smiley face is the nearest I'm willing to go towards text speak, whilst my mind would go blank if I was forced to figure out certain expressions like LMAO (which, according to Yahoo, means 'laughing my *** off'). Believe me, I stand a higher chance of translating an article in French than a single text by a typical slang-using teenager!

Anyway, I realize that not everybody has the much-envied time of the world (unlike a few students who are still having a lie-in during half-term) to spend reading about my life and passions, so down below features a list of questions relating to my interests and self-themed facts in a short-cut, straight-to-the-point manner. Whether you choose to acknowledge the fact or not, I have quite a few plans rolled up my sleeves this week, including the long-awaited down of my yet-to-be-delivered Apartment Life PC-rom, so let's get on with the LikeATeen show...


What is your name?
This one is highly awkward to admit because I've chosen to remain true to my original intention of keeping my real name a secret. Of course, my real name would be revealed if I happened to state the information of my self-published e-book - a secret of which I've been struggling to keep under wraps for months - so for now I'll refer to myself as Kitty because of my passion for cats and pile loads of money placed in, um, a kitty. If that makes any sense.

How old are you?
Unless I suddenly turn into an adult overnight, I doubt that this question is highly relevant, particularly as I'm still enduring daily battles against my erratic hormones, esteem-harming breakouts and an ever-increasing addiction to young adult novels. I'm a teenager which is all that matters, due to the alarmingly obvious title; there are still a couple of years until I morph into an adult so I'll probably be moaning about my oily forehead which is possibly capable of frying an egg for a good while yet.

Where do you live?
A town situated somewhere (whatever you may believe, I'm not giving directions!) in England, the country in which I was born and have always lived. If you are truly dying to the know, this town is available on Google Earth unlike a few places around the world I've searched for...

What do you do? 
That's simple as licking the remains of an oh-so-sweet apple pie: I'm educated at home by my teacher, otherwise known as my fantastic mum, and run this blog as a hobby. And I also dedicate myself to baking biscuits or cocoa-swirled marble cakes every other weekend, if you're interested in coming around for tea.

Do you have any siblings? 
I have one younger brother who is absolutely mad about Chelsea FC and has somewhat converted me to both the intriguing piano music featured in Minecraft and Jose Mourinho's way of thinking - whilst only becoming a teenager a few months ago!

What are your interests?
Besides embarking on a Scotland Yard-inspired search for the culprit of stuffing the whole bag of chocolate-dipped digestives on a near-daily basis, my interests include following in my mother's flour-dusted footsteps (a.k.a transforming myself into a cookery whiz), taking numerous pictures of my two lovely kittens and expressing myself creatively through the influential art of writing whenever I have a spare moment. In all honesty, I can be interested in a wide array of various subjects, from modern art to designer handbags to the newest X-Men film; my passions cannot be necessarily defined within a few words because I don't limit myself to one or two subjects, so I expand my fascinations when the need calls for it.

What do you like to write about? 
As my answer stated above, anything which interests me has a possibility of being a subject of my posts; over the past few weeks alone, I've displayed my admiration for women who continue to be a valuable source of inspiration whilst giving the low-down about my child-like passion for old-fashioned sweets, so literally everything goes. Ideally, I prefer to offer an insight into topics which are highly associated with teenagers because I'm in the fortunate position of stating how it truly feels to be placed in various situations, but this blog wasn't created on the basis of talking about teen-related issues all the time. Otherwise I would get bored very quickly - could there be anything worse than a bored writer?

Any favourite films, music or books which you wish to share with us?
On the oh-so-fun topic of films, I think that it's true to declare that 60s classic Breakfast at Tiffany's is definitely one of my all-time favourite films as Audrey Hepburn never looked better or inspired me with her dainty, yet elegant beauty. As I've been studying and living like a French for the past three years, I've completely fallen in love with French cinema and assassin thriller Nikita is no exception, along with Untouchable, Amelie and The Class. But would I truly be living up to the classification of a Modern Teen without developing an unwavering love for modern teen classics such as Mean Girls and Clueless? I rest my case.
As for music, I recently received a few CDs (yeah, I know that I'm taking a step towards the Stone Age by failing to purchase an iPod) for my birthday, one of which was Lorde's Pure Heroine, which I truly love. Until now, I never thought that I would be interested in indie music but, in comparison to the robotic beats dominating the charts nowadays, I much prefer it because the lyrics are just as important as the vocals - and Lorde perfectly fits the bill, along with Emeli Sande and Laura Mvula. Yet I love 80s soul and share a passion for jazz queen Sade like my mum does, but I cannot help but sing along to Madonna's tunes - the ones which were actually good, mind you!
And books? I may deem myself as the largest bookworm in the world, but I'm afraid to declare that I can't bring myself to choose just one book which sets my heartbeat racing and sends thrills of excitement down my spine. For now, I enjoy reading tales suited to adolescence with a dash of fantasy added to the mix - have you ever wondered why vampire novels are my guilty pleasure?

And what about those secret addictions of yours?
OK, you've got me - I just cannot hide it anymore! My addictions (well, they aren't too addictive) are playing The Sims, stuffing a liquorice allsort down my throat when nobody is glancing in my direction, applying creamy eyeliner every day and going wild with delight at the prospect of watching another episode of The Vampire Diaries on my malfunctioning DVD player. Do I have to admit anything else?

What are your plans for the future?
As everything I do now is crucial to being labelled as a success in the future, I'm trying to avoid placing any unnecessary pressure in the year leading towards taking exams because an agonizing headache is likely to be brought on.
Ideally, I'd love to study my favourite subjects (English, French, Law, etc) at A-Level before hopefully becoming a law apprentice and studying at the Bar - nothing fascinates me more heavily than Law, so I'm awfully keen to work in that sector. Also, I may become a journalist if I can become a Law apprentice because law correspondents are needed for both newspapers and televised news stations all the time, but anything is possible!

And finally... What are your tips for running a successful blog?
First of all, I'm not entirely sure whether to classify this blog as successful because I have not yet received a comment on any of my posts, but that needn't be discussed at this moment.
The key to running a blog and enjoying the experience is writing when you feel inspired and the moment is absolutely right. Don't stick to one familiar theme all the time unless you are certain that a passion for heavy make-up will forever remain a part of you, otherwise boredom is on the horizon.
Spread the word about the blog to everybody you know - friends and family are ideal options, but promoting within the endless realms of the internet helps, too - and never scrap by with poorly spelt words and bad grammar: you wouldn't want to make an enemy in me!

So, that is all you need to know about LikeATeen for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment