Thursday 30 January 2014

Dreaming of Birthdays

Several days since I made an explosive statement regarding my decreased presence upon this blog, deep down I knew that I would quickly run back towards my writing-mad roots within a short space of time - on such a horribly damp day like this, how could I prevent myself from lifting my spirits beyond stormy, whipped-cream-they-ain't clouds whilst typing at a million mph on a site purely dedicated to living Life as a Modern Teen? 

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have been able to get through this week without jotting down my thoughts as I'm now counting down the hours (obviously I give myself a break at lunchtime at midday; sticking my salt-coated fingers into a bag of Doritos can last as long as my heart desires, so I constantly remind myself) until my birthday arrives in the spectacular form of presents, balloons and bowls upon bowls of bean sprouts, which are central towards my annual feast of Chinese-inspired food - what better way to celebrate becoming a year wiser than feeling cheerful about maintaining a healthy diet instead of poking one's head into a container of Danish butter cookies? Well, I suppose that all of us have varying ideas as to how we may get into a jolly mood during our birthdays and pigging out on baby sweetcorn seems to be one of my mine, therefore I can't help but openly express my excitement over turning a new leaf and hitting a newer, more respected age - there will be plenty of birthdays to go until I get tired of growing older, so why should I deny myself the opportunity to appreciate the joys of becoming maturer and further away from the perils commonly found within adolescence? 

As I'm in quite a sunny mood at the moment (which, if you had been blessed with the powers above to look outside my bedroom window, you would find it virtually impossible to catch a welcome glimpse of yellow rays), I needn't dwell upon yellow-headed spots, greasy locks and legs a hundred times hairier than an overgrown field because birthday fever has all but created a soothing light within the darkness covering most of the house, unveiling my inner welcoming nature towards the celebrations being prepared for this upcoming weekend which will undoubtedly feature plenty of fun and form new memories to be remembered for years' to come. 

Having experienced an outstanding amount of emotions and being forced to deal with issues within the past year, reaching a new milestone within my life has left me feeling nostalgic to what had previously been associated to me, which is potentially what can signify the meaning of celebration for various people. 

This time last year, I hadn't the faintest clue that my first furry brothers (no, I have not coined an affectionate name for my two, far-from-unshaven legs!), singing soprano Tom and loyal companion Jerry, were to pass away and even now it brings home how much it still pains me that their presence is no longer within our family, especially as my birthday was the last celebration that Tom - who only made his way to Kitty Heaven nearly two months later on what was ironically Good Friday - was destined to see, along with Jerry who was reunited with his brother six months later. Sure, I shouldn't open up formerly closed wounds over my losses because Tom and Jerry only represented love, cuddles and smelly fish-scented breath (courtesy of their powerful passions for meals) and since December I've been able to regain a sense of happiness by adopting two oh-so-beautiful kittens, as you will obviously know are called Bart and Benny. 

For as long as I can remember, I've always felt curious with regard to whether cats and indeed kittens are aware of various events, such as Christmas and birthdays as it is currently the case - even a month after the festivities were celebrated over a plate piled high with roasted turkey and servings of luxurious treats, Benny the Hissy Kitty has recently developed a penchant for the Italian fruit bread known as panettone, much to the amusement of my family. Alas, my question relating to cats' senses of holidays has not yet been answered, but I'm wondering whether offering the kittens' a small bowl of the soon-to-be-made chocolate birthday cake could make them realize that I am commemorating a highly special occasion in my life - unfortunately, I'm unwilling to take any chances on what I have deemed to be my cake!

Perhaps what I feel the proudest about myself is that, along with gaining piles load of knowledge and harning skills within numerous categories (completing a novel, instructing my brother how to destroy a hard drive, progressing in French, all to name a few), I've morphed into a better and wiser person within a year by letting go of a childish nature and settling into my own skin as a teenager, which has opened so many doors to finding a form of happiness catered towards my needs. I've learnt, I've grown (or so my shoulder-length hair has, casting more doubt over the length of my sameish legs) and I feel settled within my mind, taking control of my actions and allowing confidence to flow through my body as it rightfully should. 

Of course, would I honestly be staying true to human nature by being entirely immune to falling prey to moments of weakness and indulging in one too many chocolate digestives? I'll admit my faults and give way to guilt clouding judgement over making foolish mistakes, but nothing can prevent me from getting back onto my feet, which somehow feel ten times stronger whilst donning my beloved high heels! Besides getting dressed to the nines by being clad in a red laced dress specially worn for special occasions and receiving compliments upon compliments over getting a year older, I've discovered that birthdays hold a higher message which goes beyond pearl earrings, books and Lorde's fantastic Pure Heroine, all of which count as my super-duper gifts this year. Until now, pride as heartfelt as this has never surged through me, which has ignited an unignorable desire to make the most of leading a happy, if not dazzling life as a modern day teenager. I've wised up to the numerous downfalls of adolescence and often fall back into annoying habits of moaning about them, but haven't I achieved the most of a potentially self-destroying situation by using spot-related complaints to my own advantage through the art of writing? So yeah, this blog could pretty much be my safe haven and land of wild dreams, producing tales and offering inspiration at the times when I need it most!

Almost an hour since I sat down at my desk and the rain is still falling, as the clouds remain darker and more sad-looking than ever before. My difficult age - which I may reveal to you one day when the timing feels perfectly right - can only be used as a source of inspiration whilst my child-like imagination remains intact and my upcoming birthday solely represents the never-ending joys of living life (and eating cake!) to the full. If you are celebrating your birthday or simply dream of indulging in self-need for a day similar to your birthday, I hope you have a great one because all of us, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, deserve it. 

Now, how will I maintain self-control until I get my hands onto the presents?

No comments:

Post a Comment