Monday 20 January 2014

Aww! Picture Time with the Kittens

After growing increasingly dog-tired with spending absolutely ages conjuring paragraphs upon paragraphs on almost all of my blog entries, I recently had a light-bulb moment (as one does during an extravagant feast of homemade blueberry muffins) about going back to oh-so-welcome basics and describing a vital part of my life in my well-known frank detail.

Well, how could I be more upfront and eye-poppingly honest by posting a couple of pictures featuring my two newest stars, Bart and Benny? OK, kittens may not be entitled to sharing similar titles with famous Hollywood stars, but in my eyes, affectionate Bart and motherly Benny deserve to receive their own stars on a footpath in the middle of Oxford Street or somewhere equally pleasant - just writing about them is more than enough to make me swell up with intensely felt pride! And as I'm educated at home, the kittens are usually only a few footsteps away from entering their semi-permanent home based in the kitchen - which currently reeks of strongly scented onions thanks to preparing tonight's meal consisting of pasta (with a little bit of help from an extremely intrigued Bart, whose golden-coloured eyes resembled saucers whilst I chopped the smelly vegetable into kitten-friendly pieces) - so I spend almost all my time with the two precious guys on those all-too-rare occasions when even my fascinating Law book cannot keep me glued to the section describing various forms of assaults. Well, I do like that kind of thing, though I ought to avoid getting off topic whilst immersing myself in inspirational mid-flow - kittens are obviously on agenda!

Unless you have been unfortunate enough to miss out on my previous blog entries where I gave a near-graphic description of Bart and Benny's background, I'll dedicate a couple of sentences (all of which seem extend around the ten-mile long mark, in case you haven't noticed) to the subject, which partly explains my passionate love for the close brothers today.

Around September time last year, the BBs (without a reference to the Beauty Balm product, if I've somewhat confused your inner skincare guru) were born outside along with their other two brothers - resulting in a litter of four kittens - to a mother who had assumedly led a domesticated life beforehand, yet had somehow been living in an outdoors environment and was thought to have no longer had an owner. At around two or three weeks of age, Bart and Benny and their two other brothers were found in somebody's garden without their mother in sight, which later resulted in their being taken to a nearby animal centre where they resided for several months until my family and I adopted them. From the onset, Bart has always been the most confident of the two and is treated as the cute-faced, sweet-hearted baby he naturally is, though it quickly became clear that Benny had assumed a sort of motherly role towards his brother which explained his reluctance to open himself up freely and, well, behave like a kitten - even now, despite a noticeable lack in bloody scratches and wild-sounding hisses, Benny still allows his timidness to prevent him from enjoying the attention which his brother receives, but anything is better than catching a glimpse of an expression highly detailed in terror, right?

So, my family brought the kittens home a couple of weeks before Christmas and we slowly set to work on encouraging the kittens to glow as brightly as a plum-scented Yankee Candle - well, I meant in confidence because I always have to keep an eye on a cheekily behaved Bart whilst a candle is burning in the kitchen. Within days, Bart grew to love being stroked by an adoring audience and revelled in the attention he got whilst taking an evening nap on top of my old dressing gown (could you believe that I used to wear pink like there was no tomorrow?) and basket, which had previously belonged to my old furry-purries, Tom and Jerry - although I felt a little bit stung that Benny would seem to make a massive effort to avoid all contact with us, it would've been nearly impossible to keep my excitement regarding Bart's friendliness under wraps for any longer. Having had next to none information about semi-feral kittens, I had been expecting numerous boxes of plasters to have been emptied within a few days because almost nothing on the internet offered any accurate suggestions to semi-feral kittens' behaviour - needless to say, relief flooded through me like a creamy ice cream sundae when I only managed to get away fairly unscathed with a mere tiny scratch or two on my hands!

Anyway, fast forward six or so weeks and I couldn't feel any happier about my two new brothers (when will I get a furry sister?), both of whom have easily adjusted to living in a happy and welcoming household far quicker than any of my family anticipated; sure, we may have been slightly unlucky as to being unable to put on a pair of Santa hats onto the kittens' heads at Christmas (unless we counted one of Benny's legendary hisses as a jolly festive carol), but I think that every kitten - whether born in a household or outdoors - has the right to express their natures differently and my furry pals are growing more confident as each day passes in a fur-blinding blur. I don't care about the amount of mess they intentionally create whilst messing around in the bed-like comfort of the litter tray (a.k.a the unofficial social hub) and the litter-stained white paws which fly towards my jumper each time I stroke a wild-eyed Bart before mealtime - perhaps the love I feel so intensely now had already been born the day my family brought them home in their Kermit the Frog-green basket, but they already feel and officially are cherished members of our family!

And oh, I almost forgot my original purposes which included uploading a couple of pictures of the darling two, showcasing their already-perfected poses - when will Elite Model Management start chasing me to take them to a luxurious photo shoot?


As you would expect with energetic kittens, there comes a time when sleeping is all they ever wish to do! On the left is Bart, whose patterns have become more noticeably defined within recent weeks, and Benny, of course, is lying asleep on the right, his tortoiseshell coat shining in its silky soft glory!


Taken earlier today, grey-coloured Bart has recently formed a habit of sitting - and as you can see in this picture, standing tall in such a royal manner! - on a stool near the television in the kitchen, so he can spend a couple of hours catching up with the latest affairs and keeping everybody else in the know! And, as seen behind him, Bart is never more than a sniff away from being able to sense what is cooking in the oven, though he is out of luck today because dinner is set to be cooked on the hob!



Is he obsessed with himself or what?! I seriously was not joking when I declared that Bart loved lying on my old dressing gown, so you really can poke fun at my old fashion sense! And also say 'aww!' under your breath at the adorable sight of a kitten attempting get some shut eye on New Year's Eve!



Finally, a solo picture featuring the one and only Hissy Kitty! Unlike Bart, Benny's fur is miles darker and remarkably resembles a mixture of my old cats' glorious coats, which makes me feel rather nostalgic whenever I look at him. At long last, Benny leapt onto the stool during an all-too-rare moment when Bart happened to not vacate it, so if you look extra closely, you can see the slightly smug look on his elegantly-sized face! Ah, too fight over sitting on a stool seems far more exciting than listening to my brother's constant discussions over Minecraft...


And how could I not leave the very best until last? Here, the kitties are sitting next to their toys, two of which are grey cats whilst the other two are a very grizzly pair of tigers, so they always feel right at home with a few beanies to punch and bite whenever they are in a very contented mood. Despite the flash suggesting otherwise, both Bart and Benny have golden/green eyes, though I'm not entirely sure whether they are likely to change in the near future - so far, only Bart's fur has developed rather noticeably, whilst Benny, except for his ever-lengthening body and tall form, has remained the same. Together, I couldn't imagine Bart and Benny feeling any happier, and I hope that their two other brothers experience the same feelings, who happily received a new home shortly before Christmas.

What with my life being jam-packed with constantly taking pictures and hanging out with my beloved furry friends, it is a wonder that I still find time to write all about them here, but that's kittens for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment