Friday 1 November 2013

The Perils of a 'Nice' Halloween

OK, I might be a little over a day late to place my full attention on Halloween, which sent millions of chocolate-eating youngsters into a spook-tastic (I apologize for my creation of an adjective which probably doesn't make much sense; the Oxford Dictionary would undoubtedly be disappointed in me) frenzy last night via knocking on the whole of their neighberhood's doors in the hope of receiving free candy.

Am I the only person who believes that Halloween - made famous for its passionate love of wicked witches, hairier-than-my-legs werewolves and blood-sucking vampires - has lost its bite? Every year, the drill has taken familliar courses of action - all the supermarkets begin to load their aisles to the brim with slime-covered cupcakes, 'scary' treats and another load of plastic cups and cheaper-than-my-earrings costumes, which seemingly fall apart before you so much as touch its fabric - and I dare say that it has made Halloween an over-commericalized 'festive' holiday, no longer as entertaining or terrifying as it once used to be.

Perhaps my endless viewing of so-called 'spine-tingling' films have left me immune to be scared out of my (lightly-spotted) skin; what could possibly be the main purpose of Halloween if it didn't even send a chill down your spine? Ghosts (whose pale complexions with whom I'm on a par, if I've applied too much foundation; always a terrifying sight in the morning), vampires and even werewolves have been portrayed as kinder, more child-friendly creatures in recent decades - in certain ways, a huge relief for parents who have feared that their children would come across the true adaption (and one of the best) of Bram Stoker's Dracula on Sky Movies during a Saturday night (and depriving themselves of some much-appreciated rest) - but has it truly sucked the life out of the original meaning of Halloween?

Nowadays, 'ghosts', with less haunted expressions and even a hint of a sweeter-than-apple pie dimple on their cheeks (courtesy to Cheryl Cole, whose ultraa-bright smiles always haunt me in every fashion magazine I dare to pick up), seem friendlier and certainly not as haunting as the ones featured in classic horror films, such as The Amityville Horror and The Fog (must make a mental note to raid my brother's film collection - now!). Before I confuse you or even myself, I'm not complaining about all ghosts being portrayed as friends with whom you would hang out on a Friday night; Ghostbusters managed to combine both the chilling and more down-to-earth elements without sacrificing on the gut-wrenching horror (perhaps not the adjective to use; the film is rated a PG, afterall) or sending young children into a fright behind the sofa for hours on end. So, why does seem to be a near impossible task to entertain and fright viewers - if film writers had the ability to get ideas like those back in the 80s and the 90s, then nothing ought to get in the way of writers in this era.

In my opinion, one of the most logical reasons for Halloween no longer raising hairs on my back (as if I need to see them) is that perhaps people have reached a point where they cannot or will not attempt to scare others: thinking about it, isn't our generation tougher than a pair of aged leather boots? I think so. If a film - or any other form of entertainment - makes too much of an effort, it may result in cheek-flaring failure - and why risk it? Just like the ever-slowing economy, you have to watch your every step - even if it appears to be too over-rated for an occasion like Halloween.

Age, I guess, has not only made me obviously older (and a heck of a lot prettier!), but also wiser in relation to being scared out of my wits - fear never presents itself as strongly as it does when one is of a younger age and far more innocent (unless the endless searching for Christmas presents inside the house has already turned a child). These days, the sight of a spider with longer legs than my own is more likely to provoke a hair-raising shriek from my painted-in-gloss lips: also, vampires have a higher tendency to receive a breathless gushing from teenage girls due to the popularity of The Twilight Saga. Even I haven't got the guts inside of me to deny a one hundred year old vampire's breath-taking beauty and stunning, out-of-this-world powers. Oh, I can't believe I just wrote that.

So, could Halloween ever regain its spooky rigeur and title as the phenomenon that would force us in flee in a terror on a chilly late October night? Perhaps this phase will only be a short-lived blip, a slight bump on the ride; or, as times continue to change, I'm simply not following the route which almost everybody is trekking. Friendly, sometimes adorable 'monsters' are suited to some people's tastes; I certainly know for sure that the overly sweet flavour isn't welcome to my hard-to-win-over tastebuds.

At least my beloved dark chocolate - just as tempting as a charming allure displayed in a horror story - never lets me down, year by year. Still, what could possibly beat the spook-athon which is best known as Halloween?





No comments:

Post a Comment