Sunday 24 November 2013

Make-Up and Skin Blues

Wouldn't I be breaking all female-created rules if I didn't take the slightest interest in my appearance, skin and make-up, the reflection of which I see in the overly dusty mirror every single day? I just wouldn't be me - the girl whose impressive talents including easily managing to read an entire page of basic French and moaning to a pensioner's level has spent more hours than I would dare to imagine in front of a mirror, preferably one sprinkled with a little bit of dust to slightly disguise the current breakout on my chin - if beauty didn't hold a valued place on my list of Top Priorities, alongside the cosmetics I choose to place on my face and body, and obviously the dreaded oiler-than-a-takeaway skin, which constantly breaks all previous boundaries by making my forehead look shiner than a polished table within a few hours.

Yeah, it's fairly simple to admit that subjects related to deep fat-fryer complexions, goth-style purple lipstick and skin resembling a dotted Stella McCartney dress à la 2011 don't go down awfully well in my books, which is currently dedicated to an abduction-themed teenage thriller. Oh well.

However, my mood cannot be too harsh or unfair towards you, my beloved and highly cherished reader, so I will not ruin the chillaxed atmosphere which has entered your Caribbean-warm house on a cloudy Sunday morning by complaining about my skincare problems - who in their right mind would fancy reading about spots with a yellow head on the verge of popping during breakfast? Well, I guess that I ought to make a sincere (ha!) apology for that ghastly description, but you must recognize my feelings one way or another, right? Now I can smile happily that I'm not the only person whose penchant for all things sweet and darkly chocolate-flavoured is a possible hazard for the dreaded breakouts on my otherwise model-perfect face. 

So today, as I've been left utterly inspired by getting my nails painted a deliciously evening dark, near-black-yet-purple shade yesterday afternoon, I'll be placing my attention on the exciting subject which is make-up - yay! My hands are clapping with heartfelt delight (clearly when I'm not typing away on the keyboard) because cosmetics - from 80s punk neon pink lipstick to black cat-dark eyeliner, everything except for liquid foundation and chemical-riddled items is covered - are one of the things which assume a constant role in my everyday life, which counts even if I've only got enough time to slick on some lipstick or pout-ready gloss one those typical should-I-bother? days that everybody goes through from time to time. 

Without the appreciated existence of life-saving make-up, nothing would offer me as much refuge and comfort when I cannot bear the idea of going outside without an armour - in the less bulky form of a mineral powder or cherry-flavoured balm stick - protecting what I wish to hide, alongside my self-esteem which is prone to falling below an average level during those strongly detested occasions when red bumps and inescapable marks make a sharp contrast against my naturally lily-pale skin tone. Plus, pleasure and fun is evitable when a bag containing bright eye shadow and various coloured lip glosses is lying around - that calls for playtime without the unavoidable mess which overly curious toddlers make, adventurous teenage style!

Like many other girls, the very first form of make-up that I was allowed to try was lip gloss, which gave my lips a luminous shine and didn't make me stand out as noticeably as I recently have whilst experimenting with out-of-my-depth eye shadows, so I was naturally very excited and interested about trying something completely new and slightly alien to my once bare-faced self. 

As my mum had been using their products for several years, I followed in her footsteps by purchasing a set of birthday-themed lip glosses from the popular brand, Bare Minerals, whose life-long mantra has been to remain as natural as possible - most of the ingredients used in their products, including their world-famous 100% irritant-free foundation, are suitable for the most sensitive type of skin whilst purposely avoiding anything dangerously unnatural - by sourcing minerals and creating a half-make-up, half-skincare product for your face, while you look utterly fabulous and feel the amazing feel-good effects of the skin-friendly stuff! 

I quickly found my footing by layering the four different shades - ranging from a deep magenta pink to a tanned brown to a Strawberry Cake-like baby pink to a glimmery nude shade, which was my favourite and most-used colour of all - and creating a unique look of my own, which created a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction - instead of appearing as a weird and crazy thing, make-up become a source of fun for myself, which is why I always get so much pleasure out of using it everyday because the memories of using it for the first time are ever strong and as clear as they were several years ago. 

Within a few months, a clear mascara and several natural lipsticks were added my once-small cosmetics bag, which gradually expanded to a case in which I still store the majority of my glosses and lipsticks, yet there is only so much it can safely hold! At first, I didn't particularly like the texture of the lipsticks because they seemed to dry out my buxom-plump lips, but within a while I moved onto Rimmel London's fantastic range of lipsticks which offered what I wanted in a nicely shaped, crown-logoed bottle: vividly eye-catching colour, long-lasting results and a pocket money-friendly price!

However, no one-too-many layers of nude pink lipstick or seemingly wet clear mascara could distract me from reaching a deepened low with regard to my reddening complexion, which had an unfortunate tendency to flare up like an uncontained flame every so often; another problem which hard-working and kind-hearted teenagers don't deserve to deal with alongside other dilemmas, right? Bumps more noticeable than worsening pot holes in can-littered roads popping up across the tedious T-zone - in other words, the forehead, nose and chin, the now-current source of spot-flecked trouble - were beginning to seep into my thoughts and place me in an inescapable misery because no miracles would occur or so-called 'magical' products cleared the disaster area; what could I do? The unwanted response, a spirit-crushing nothing, became the only answer that I could get because of my age and skin type, so I had to face up to the damning fact that a few more years of complexion hell were ahead of a me - a life which I was reluctant to accept.

Yet, despite the longed-for miracle not suddenly clearing my face over the space of a star-lit night, a stark rise in happiness and slight relief was only more than a brush and buffing technique away - via Bare Minerals foundation! As I mentioned earlier, the foundation is unlike the typical one that many people would use, which would come in the form of a tan-shaded liquid, but looks like a powder and is sourced with the very best ingredients which are guaranteed to revitalize your complexion - as it did mine! Soon, I learnt how to tap a little bit of the powder and swirl it around the lid then buff on my face, lightly dusting my complexion and decreasing the startling noticeability of my spots within seconds - hurrah! Also, I needn't worry about the foundation reacting against my skin because the minerals can only help it get better, so I can look and feel good whenever I put in on every few days; needless to say, it is one thing which I could not dare to live without!

A week or two ago, I invested in a concealer from the mineral-loving brand and have since noticed a remarkable result whenever I place a light covering of the miraculous item onto my face, which can actually look pretty great when spots or reddenned patches aren't haunting it like a desolate house in a spine-tingling horror novel! And I've also since learnt some valuable lessons in the eye shadows which suit my blue-coloured eyes best; a starved vampire red shade does not attract many to the glorious beauty of my eyes, by the way! 

At first, I was afraid to walk onto what seemed like the scarier, more-bizarre-than-Justin-Bieber's-hair way of cosmetic-featuring life; who could have guessed what would be in store for me? Sure, a few more longer-than-my-hair years of spot-riddled hell are probably going to get on my nerves and be the reason for my exaggerated sighs and consistent complaining, but make-up - from mood-lifting rose lipstick to eye-enhancing eye-liner to complexion-stabilizing foundation - can only play the role of a friend to me, who can definitely give me a fantastic look whenever my heart yearns for it. 

So, what does the nail varnish-wearing, lipstick-using teenager say? Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment